All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 132 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad
Favorite Trails: Hog's Heaven, Sedona
I have some questions since I did not do too much homework on the subject.

1. I have ridden twice and my tires deflate substantially by the next day. Is this normal?

2. Should I carry a small container of Stan's in my pack?

3. Why would my hand pump not work when I tried to give myself some more pressure during my first ride with them? I had to borrow a friends CO2 inflation pump to get the tire to hold pressure.

4. Has anyone ridden Noble on tubeless tires? Will I be ok on super fast, jagged rock sections like the descent from Indian Creek to Noble?

I realize maybe I should have thought this out a little better before I had the tubeless installed - but I didn't do that.

Thanks for your responses/ suggestions in advance.

The following user would like to thank FatPossum for his or her post:
mongooseboy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1042 thanks
Received: 649 thanks
Bike(s): Remedy 7/GF Ferrous/7.6 FX
Favorite Trails: Thunder MTN Utah, A-Line, RH
Here's my 2cents on your questions:

1. I have ridden twice and my tires deflate substantially by the next day. Is this normal? ----> Not really normal, maybe your tires are very pourous (i.e. Nevegals) and need a longer time to complete seal. This is assuming that you are not using UST tires. Or possibly the bead of your tire is not completely seated.

2. Should I carry a small container of Stan's in my pack? ---> I don't normally do so, but I know a few riders that do and it has been proven beneficial if you had a pucture sealed, but lost all your stans in the process and did not want to pop a tube in.

3. Why would my hand pump not work when I tried to give myself some more pressure during my first ride with them? I had to borrow a friends CO2 inflation pump to get the tire to hold pressure. ---> Possibly the bead of your tire is not completely seated?

4. Has anyone ridden Noble on tubeless tires? Will I be ok on super fast, jagged rock sections like the descent from Indian Creek to Noble? ---> Yes, I have riddern Noble and Indian Creek on tubeless and it is fine.

The following 3 users would like to thank amor587 for his or her post:
FatPossum, mongooseboy, Scott Forty G.
 Post subject: 55
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:08 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1012 thanks
Received: 1675 thanks
Bike(s): Enduro Bike
Favorite Trails: Mount Whitney

Last edited by Scott Forty G. on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:56 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
I would like to do the switch also, but I'm wondering if the weather will have anything to do with the sealing (Taking Longer)? And am I reading you correctly that the Kenda tires take longer to seal. Can I convert any rim/ I have Easton Havoc wheels, that i don't want to mess up if it's going to be a leaky operation.
Joe let me ask you this, how long did it take, and would you do it youself again?

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
What kind of set-up are you running? That makes a difference.

1. I have ridden twice and my tires deflate substantially by the next day. Is this normal? It depends on what kind of "tubeless" you switched to. If you went to a UST tire and rim, then NO, that isn't normal. If you went with a "tubeless ready" set-up (like No-tubes rims w/ TR tires), then YES, that is normal and using Stan's in them is mandatory, as the TR tires are porous. They will need a good day or two for the sealant to set in before they stop leaking air. If you converted a non-UST/TR wheel to a non-UST/TR tire, then your experience could be good or bad, easy or a headache, based on the tire and rim combination. But running Stan's in that set-up is pretty much mandatory as well.

2. Should I carry a small container of Stan's in my pack? It wouldn't hurt. I run both set-ups--UST Mavic Crossmax w/ UST Nevegals, as well as No-Tubes Flows w/ Bonty TR tires and I run a couple ounces of Stan's in all my wheels.

3. Why would my hand pump not work when I tried to give myself some more pressure during my first ride with them? I had to borrow a friends CO2 inflation pump to get the tire to hold pressure. Again, not knowing your set-up, it's hard to say.

4. Has anyone ridden Noble on tubeless tires? Will I be ok on super fast, jagged rock sections like the descent from Indian Creek to Noble? I have run my UST set-up there many times with no issues.

Hope this helps!

The following user would like to thank PacMan for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:54 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 88 thanks
Received: 327 thanks
Bike(s): Yelli Screamy - Demo 8
Favorite Trails: anything with dirt
i've done 4 sets of tires now. the first being mine and it was a *itch to do. I had WTB speeddiscs with a very deep channel on the rim. even after carefully positioning the rimstrip just below the bead lock, the rimstrip kept on falling down into the channel when trying to inflate the tire. I finally filled-in the channel with adhesive backed foam weatherstripping, reinstalled the rimstrip. and voila... it worked.

this may be happening to you. make sure that the rimstrip stays seated just under the bead lock, otherwise, the stans will need to fill in the voids between your tire and wheel with no rimstrip in between. it may seem to work at first, no bubbles forming during the cure process, but as soon as you start to ride, the two will seperate and you will have a slow leak, which will need to be filled in by the stans, and the process repeats...

Almost forgot, before adding pressure to the tire, I made sure that the tire bead was coated with stans. after all, that's where the seal is going to be, right? why wait for the air pressure to move the sauce there. might as well put it there myself.

make sure you use the soap bubbles and not too much water.

the other 3 sets have been my friends. all were simple and fast just like the video instructions. sun rims, wtb dual duty, eastons

but, i always made sure that the tires "cook" for 24hrs. what i mean is that after the initial 30 minutes of flipping the tires back and forth, we let the tires sit for 24hrs with the occasional flip before riding.

use a compressor and remove the presta valve for a quicker fill.
i bought this...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92360
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Pr ... 013_400234

i guess with this week of rain, this is the time to go tubeless and work on the bike.

I do carry a spare tube and patch with along with superglue, just in case. but, i carried them when i ran tubes anyways.
after 3 months of riding 'tubeless' i can say that the pros: feel, traction outweight the cons: pain in the rear the first time you install it. a little messy, but it's not like the

tips and tricks:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ search for tubeless conversion in the 'Articles"
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

The following user would like to thank mrgiant for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Thanks for all of the great responses. It must be raining out!

1. I am running a UST wheelset (Shimano XT M775), with non UST tires. I had a couple of new nevegals (non UST) and did not want to pop for double the price. Would anyone recommend UST tires that are better than nevegals? I have been on the Nevegal band-wagon for a while and I guess this might be a reason to jump ship.

2. I had the tubeless installed at NOTB, and I probably would not do it on my own because I am lazy and not tremendously mechanically inclined.

3. While riding, I have enjoyed what seemed to be a lighter and smoother ride. I think I am happy with the set-up, I just need to get used to it. I will probably spring for some UST tires to see the difference.

4. In regards to the Shimano wheelset, my cornering seems to be improved and the ride seems a bit stiffer. I really like them so far and would recommend them.

5. I have my old Botrager Select Wheels that I ran for over 2 years. They are beat up, and not the nicest, but if anyone wants them and the skewers, they can have them for free. PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:03 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
What are your wheel and tire specs?

1. I have ridden twice and my tires deflate substantially by the next day. Is this normal?

Sounds like something isn't sealed. I had this happen on some Larsen TT's I did. It works better if you put more sealant in the first time you do it. All of the tires I've done have been standard tires. Try 3 scoops. And depending on your wheelset you may need to build up the middle channel with rim tape of some sort. After sealing the first time you should pump them up to 35-40 psi and let sit over night. If you lose air they weren't sealed good.

2. Should I carry a small container of Stan's in my pack?

I wouldn't hurt. I bought the valve core tool which makes it easy to add sealant without breaking the tire bead.

3. Why would my hand pump not work when I tried to give myself some more pressure during my first ride with them? I had to borrow a friends CO2 inflation pump to get the tire to hold pressure.

Stan's site doesn't recommend using mini pumps or CO2 to inflate your tires. I have been able to use a floor pump, but it takes a bit. A lot of Tapping the tire and pumping. Once they've been sealed it's a lot easier. IMO it would be better to carry a spare tube than try to use a mini pump, just not enough volume.

Here is a link from Stan's, hope it helps.

http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php

The following user would like to thank 02bullit for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
FatPossum wrote:

1. I am running a UST wheelset (Shimano XT M775), with non UST tires. I had a couple of new nevegals (non UST) and did not want to pop for double the price. Would anyone recommend UST tires that are better than nevegals? I have been on the Nevegal band-wagon for a while and I guess this might be a reason to jump ship.

I run Nevegal UST's and have been pleased with them. The UST's go on sale pretty regularly, I got my last set from Beyond for $22 each. Bike Bling has them right now for $30, which isnt horrible.

The following user would like to thank quaestionis for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
quaestionis wrote:
FatPossum wrote:

I run Nevegal UST's and have been pleased with them. The UST's go on sale pretty regularly, I got my last set from Beyond for $22 each. Bike Bling has them right now for $30, which isnt horrible.

+1. I get mine from Beyond.They usually have them pretty cheap.

I have the same wheelset on my Spot--running w/ 2.1UST Nevegals. I really like them. Plus, I got the set from Chain Reaction Cycles.com for $393 shipped. You can't beat that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:43 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 119 thanks
Received: 282 thanks
Bike(s): Marin
Favorite Trails: all
When first setting up tires tubeless, especially ghetto tubeless, you will experience the loss of air for the first few rides. As the Stans circulates it slowly clogs the pourus material.
Stans stays fairly liquid until it hits air and dries out in the hole it finds. So for every pour in the tire, the stans has to find it. Once it does, it hits air then drys clogging the pore.
After a couple more rides you will not need to keep putting air into the tire...at least that is what is supposed to happen.
Couple more rides FatPossum and it will be all dialed in.
Oh and yes, a CO2 cartridge will help until the tire has its initial true seal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

NorthoftheBorder wrote:
When first setting up tires tubeless, especially ghetto tubeless, you will experience the loss of air for the first few rides. As the Stans circulates it slowly clogs the pourus material.
Stans stays fairly liquid until it hits air and dries out in the hole it finds. So for every pour in the tire, the stans has to find it. Once it does, it hits air then drys clogging the pore.
After a couple more rides you will not need to keep putting air into the tire...at least that is what is supposed to happen.
Couple more rides FatPossum and it will be all dialed in.
Oh and yes, a CO2 cartridge will help until the tire has its initial true seal.

Thanks Doug - I will give you guys a call if they don't start holding the air. I hit up LPQ after picking up my bike from you guys on Friday. The wheels/tires and adjustments Mike made were great! The bike has not ridden that smooth ever! I think I will take Mike's suggestion and throw on some new shifters & derailuers after X-mas. See you guys then!

EDIT- Hey my tires seem to be holding air a lot better today after inflating them last night. To bad it is too soggy out to ride....

The following user would like to thank FatPossum for his or her post:
NorthoftheBorder