All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 13 thanks
Received: 17 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Specialized Pitch
Favorite Trails: PQ Canyon
hey guys Im about to go on a ride with my buddies but ever since last night my bike has bee skipping/jumping gears. soon as I shift up from 14th to 15 and up it skips around. ill down shift when peddling up small hills then it up shift and make it a lot harder to pedal then down shift and so on. as soon as I put a good amount of pressure itll skip around

I was wondering if there is a quick fix before I go out with my friends. I took it to Black Mtn Bikes in hope for a quick fix like the last time they did it (this is my second time in the 2/3 months Ive had this bike) but they said they couldnt help me out today and that Id have to leave it there and pick it up next Thursday. I said fuck that (not really satisfied with this shop anymore but thats a different story)

please help :crying: everybody is meeting up at my house in 30 mins and I dont want to be stuck with a bike that keeps jumping gears around...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Put it on a stand or somewhere where you can pedal with your hand and shift through the gears. There is a tension adjuster knob on your shifter where the cable and housing attach. Increase the tension (turn left) a click or two at a time while pedaling until the shifting improves. The increase in tension should imrpove the shifting as the cables have probably broken in (stretched) since you purchased it. This is the quick fix.

Probably should check and see if your derailleur hanger may be bent and check the limits screws when you have more time. Hope this helps, happy trails.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:04 pm 
Participant
Participant

thank you sir!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Did that take care of it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Participant
Participant

hey erik...

adjusting the tension fixed it real quick but ever since after that ride, it started jumping pretty bad at a lower gear now :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
i had similar symptoms thanx to a little pebble stuck between 2 cogs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23374 thanks
Received: 17549 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Pillow Pants wrote:
i had similar symptoms thanx to a little pebble stuck between 2 cogs.

Hmmm....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

HVYrider wrote:
hey erik...

adjusting the tension fixed it real quick but ever since after that ride, it started jumping pretty bad at a lower gear now :?

Jeff, since the bike's new and the cable housings come pre-cut from the mfgr, there's a chance that something's hinky with a section of housing setting/springing in and out of a stop, or simply that the tensions are all whacked out. Now drop her by Black Mtn and ask them to tell you what they find in addition to the free tune up. Little glitches like this are common when a bike's new, and tend to settle out over time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:55 am 
Participant
Participant

ill take it to them to see what they have to say again. ill be irritated if they charge me since this is the 2nd time it happened within the 2.5 months I had it. they replaced the chain the first time which was 2 weeks after I bought the bike, had my 30 day "tune" a couple weeks after that, and its been about a month since they replaced the chain so I just think it stretched or the cable stretched. I just hope Chris or Mike is working cause they seem to be the most helpful versus the other people who seem like they dont give a fecal matter lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 pm 
Participant
Participant

said it was my cassette cause Im a portly fellow :domo:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23374 thanks
Received: 17549 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
HVYrider wrote:
said it was my cassette cause Im a portly fellow :domo:

Cassette? That sounds like BS. Like Moondog & EBasil said -- cable or hanger probably. Go back and ask for their best mechanic to check it. If the hanger looks tweaked at all, or you see rock marks where you banged your derailleur, replace it. Doesn't cost that much, and if that wasn't it, you now have a spare to carry. The cable should be completely removed & inspected -- any doubt, replace it, but the new one has to be carefully installed & tensioned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

BS on the cassette. You may be a mountain with legs, but you ain't tearing apart cassettes! No freaking way. And they swapped out a new chain already?? Damn! If you haven't got "free tune ups for life", forget 'em there.

This glitching is something that can be found and fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 am 
Participant
Participant

OldDogDan wrote:

Cassette? That sounds like BS. Like Moondog & EBasil said -- cable or hanger probably. Go back and ask for their best mechanic to check it. If the hanger looks tweaked at all, or you see rock marks where you banged your derailleur, replace it. Doesn't cost that much, and if that wasn't it, you now have a spare to carry. The cable should be completely removed & inspected -- any doubt, replace it, but the new one has to be carefully installed & tensioned.

Mike, I guess, is the manager for the mechanics in the back. I asked if he could at least show me or tell me what it was and he said, without taking a look, that its my cassette, no doubt about it, cause Im a portly fellow like him. I left it there overnight and picking it up today after work. Being a n00b, I dont know anything about bikes and their components so Im pretty much gonna believe what an "expert" has to say.

EBasil wrote:
BS on the cassette. You may be a mountain with legs, but you ain't tearing apart cassettes! No freaking way. And they swapped out a new chain already?? Damn! If you haven't got "free tune ups for life", forget 'em there.

This glitching is something that can be found and fixed.

no free tune ups for life...just the 30 day which was already done, and a 6 month tune. I kinda wish I did more research and looked around instead of being a compulsive buyer.

I would rather pay/barter with someone on here to take a look and help work on my bike rather than a shop that sees me as an easy target and tells me to leave it there for a week to say I have a bunch of stuff wrong with a brand new bike. I was going to pick up a DVD called Fundamentals to see if I could learn stuff off that but I think the best bet to learn tips and tricks is to ride with veteran riders.

Ill ask for my old cassette and ask for an explanation as to why it was that and not my cable or hanger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 23 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: The dirty ones.
Long turn around times are pretty common when having work done. They say the work load is to great. If I was a better mechanic I would look at opening my own shop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
I'd cut bait now and start going to another shop with a better mechanic. I've been in Black Mt Bikes twice and both times it was a bad experience.

It sounds like they are feeding you a bunch of B.S. because that should be a simple fix. It's understandable if they're too busy to work on your bike the second you bring it in. But not being able to fix it by now is ridiculous.