All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
So I spend a few bucks and buy the Stan's kit and a pair of brand new Kenda Nevegal DTC/UST tires. Follow the instructions, mount up the first tire and then attempt to fill it with air to "seat" the bead and end up blowing the bead clear off the rim. Sounded like a Desert Eagle .50 went off in my garage along with the deafness that followed....fucking great. So, I get my shit together and mount the second tire (after cleaning out my pants) and it goes on just fine.

Since blowing the bead off the rim now renders the one tire useless, I head out to buy another. After checking with three different shops, I finally find one in stock and head back to the house to finish the job. Fast forward, after repeated attempts to seat the bead on this tire......guess what.......it blows sky high too. And don't start in with this "you're not supposed to fill it to 100psi" shit either. I filled it to 60 when it decided to let go.

So in the end, I wasted $70 in blown tires, $60 for a Stan's kit and I'm fucking deaf in my left ear. Gee, whata' great way to spend your day off.

I don't know if it was the tires, my rim or perhaps even user error, but I don't care. Back to good 'ol tubes I go as this was a complete and total waste of time and money.

Last edited by David-K on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:25 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Were you mounting the tire to a non-UST rim? Just one jerk's opinion, but I always thought those Stan's conversion kits were a bad idea.

Now, pair a UST tire with a UST rim, add a couple ounces of Stan's to seal up any thorn holes in the future and you should be golden.

I'm running that combo on 3 bikes and I've had no issues. 1 bike going on 3 years. 1 bike going on 18 months and another going on 1 year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

PacMan wrote:
Were you mounting the tire to a non-UST rim? Just one jerk's opinion, but I always thought those Stan's conversion kits were a bad idea.

Now, pair a UST tire with a UST rim, add a couple ounces of Stan's to seal up any thorn holes in the future and you should be golden.

I'm running that combo on 3 bikes and I've had no issues. 1 bike going on 3 years. 1 bike going on 18 months and another going on 1 year.

Bro, you're not being a jerk at all, legitimate question. Yes, I was mounting a UST tire on a non-UST rim. Which, as you know, is the whole idea behind the kit to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Ya, years ago I was looking into the kit myself and decided to do some research first. I read some horror stories on MTBR of people who had the same thing that happened to you, happen to them--but there's happened while they were riding!! YIKES!!!

Then a buddy of mine--DT member but seldom poster NappyT--bought the kit and did the conversion himself. It was successful. I don't know if it was the first ride or not, but it was one of the first few rides he was on with it, we were on a very tame downhill and his front tire blew off the rim and he endo'd pretty hard.

I knew I wanted to go tubeless, but it was right then and there I decided to save my money and go UST all the way around or not at all. I did and I haven't regretted it since.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:15 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
pacman did you go tubeless and still us a bit of stans? Or just straight ust / ust

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Los wrote:
pacman did you go tubeless and still us a bit of stans? Or just straight ust / ust

I still use Stan's in case I get thorns/goatheads or pinchflats. I wouldn't run UST without it. My Yeti 575 and My Turner Spot are both a UST set-up.

I run a Tubeless ready set-up on my Niner EMD. At the time, there was not a UST 29er tire made, only Tubeless ready (I don't even know if there is one yet actually) so I figured why go UST for it?? I bought No Tubes Flows and King hubs and had them built up. They are really light and really strong--however you have to run Stan's in them to keep them from leaking air.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8638 thanks
Received: 11699 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
Sorry to hear about your day,
I wish I could've helped more..........................

BOOM..........................

:cheers:

Clyde

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following user would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
PacMan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Big Clyde wrote:
Sorry to hear about your day,
I wish I could've helped more..........................

BOOM..........................

:cheers:

Clyde

That is very inconsiderate and not funny. Saying sorry first doesn't make up for it!!

Besides, I heard it was more like:

Just kidding David!! :wave: :cheers: :drunk: Just think--3 day weekend and BBQ'ing!! Hope you have a good one :hello:

The following user would like to thank PacMan for his or her post:
Big Clyde
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 153 thanks
Received: 133 thanks
Bike(s): KHS ST Team, Raleigh XXIX
That's because Kenda tires SUCK ASS!

All joking aside, all the mounting problems I've heard of have been with Kenda tires. I've been running "normal" rims with a Stan's kit and Maxxis tires since 2005 and (at the risk of jinxing myself) have had no seating problems or flats since I went tubeless.

Sorry it didn't work for you; I LOVE TUBELESS!!!

http://www.ericpalmerendurancecoaching.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
I just recently mounted a set of 2.35 nevegals DTC on Stans wheels... had some sealing issues at first, but a few rides and everything is air tight. UST tires are heavier due to their reinforced sidewalls so I've never purchased UST specific tires. I just get the normal foldable tires.

I'm running maxxis ardents on DT EX 5.1 rims on my freeride bike and they are fine.

BTW, 60lbs is way too much. Go 30-40 max.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

PacMan wrote:
Besides, I heard it was more like:

WHAT?!?!?!? I STILL CAN'T HEAR SHITE!!!!!! However, that mushroom cloud is pretty goddamn accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Some non-UST rims do not convert well since they don't have a good enough lip, but I don't know which particular ones to stay away from. I usually inflate the tires just enough to seat the beads (40 psi or so) and then back off on the pressure. I also use an old spray bottle w/ a couple of drops of liquid soap to get the sealing action going and to help lubricated the tire bead so it moves on it's own. This is a carry over from when I used to spoon my own motorcycle tires.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7340 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Zippy wrote:
That's because Kenda tires SUCK ASS!

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

I put Panaracer Fire XC pros (UST) on my SS when I built it. They've been good but tubeless just seems like so much hassle and you have to carry a tube anyways in case of problems. I seldom get pinch flats with my tubed tires so benefits don't really outweigh the weight penalty for me. That said, next time I build new wheels I might use UST rims and go tubeless. But the problems I've heard with ghetto conversions make it seem very unworthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 183 thanks
Received: 168 thanks
Bike(s): '13 Intense UZZI
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos - Big Bear
David-K wrote:
So I spend a few bucks and buy the Stan's kit and a pair of brand new Kenda Nevegal DTC/UST tires. Follow the instructions, mount up the first tire and then attempt to fill it with air to "seat" the bead and end up blowing the bead clear off the rim. Sounded like a Desert Eagle .50 went off in my garage along with the deafness that followed....fucking great. So, I get my shit together and mount the second tire (after cleaning out my pants) and it goes on just fine.

Since blowing the bead off the rim now renders the one tire useless, I head out to buy another. After checking with three different shops, I finally find one in stock and head back to the house to finish the job. Fast forward, after repeated attempts to seat the bead on this tire......guess what.......it blows sky high too. And don't start in with this "you're not supposed to fill it to 100psi" shit either. I filled it to 60 when it decided to let go.

So in the end, I wasted $70 in blown tires, $60 for a Stan's kit and I'm fucking deaf in my left ear. Gee, whata' great way to spend your day off.

I don't know if it was the tires, my rim or perhaps even user error, but I don't care. Back to good 'ol tubes I go as this was a complete and total waste of time and money.

Dude...sorry - So this is why I didn't hear from you today

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish :domo:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:06 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
qpcr8tiv wrote:
BTW, 60lbs is way too much. Go 30-40 max.

+1 I remember the kit saying to fill the tire up to 40 PSI max and let sit. Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I had an air hose blow at work and it scared the crap out of me. Ears were ringing and the whole nine. Sucks.