Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Tires / Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
I am going to be picking up a new set of wheels, Is it worth it to shell out the dough up front and get the tubeless rims and tires? I know I have read alot about Stans, Is that something you use on non-tubeless stuff to get tubeless? Help a newbie out and take a vote.

Post subject: Re: Tires / Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 147 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
Los wrote:
I am going to be picking up a new set of wheels, Is it worth it to shell out the dough up front and get the tubeless rims and tires? I know I have read alot about Stans, Is that something you use on non-tubeless stuff to get tubeless? Help a newbie out and take a vote.

Stans makes a kit to convert wheels from tubed to tubeless. He also makes some goop that you pour in tubes, or more often, pour into a tubeless tire to assist in sealing punctures.

I would go tubeless.

The following user would like to thank sladnas for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:42 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8638 thanks
Received: 11699 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
I just got a set of Azonic Outlaws
and used the stans kit to go tubeless,
it works great. Before, I had a set of Mavic
tubeless wheels, that worked even better.
If you can afford, I'd say get a tubeless wheel
set.

:cheers:

Clyde

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following user would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
If you have problems with pinch flats, go tubeless. I am 250 lbs and ride hard and used to pinch flat all the time. Once I went to tubeless I had no more problems. Just make sure you use UST tires with thick enough sidewalls (Maxxis, Kenda). Stay away from the Specialized 2Bliss which are a piece of shit.

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:23 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
.... or go ghetto tubeless with most rim / tire combos.

The way to replenish Stan's is with a syringe and needle (large bore, and be quick), no need to re-do the whole ordeal. It will just seal right up. But don't forget to almost deflate your tire before trying this!

That said, I never had problems with my old Mavic rims, but with new(er) WTB's I'm finding a looser tire fit on the rim and was able to ghetto a Nevegal, but not a Maxxis High Roller. Just couldn't get a seal. No compressor, so it may be possible with one.

http://blog.spudz.org/?p=453

http://www.spadout.com/a/ghetto-tubeles ... inchflats/

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

jSatch wrote:
.... or go ghetto tubeless with most rim / tire combos.

http://blog.spudz.org/?p=453

http://www.spadout.com/a/ghetto-tubeles ... inchflats/

And BTW, if you use a non-tubeless tire (standard), you will need to do the Ghetto with a BMX inner tube. As suggested in some of the vids, they just taped the rim and spoke holes. Not so sure how well even a tubeless tire bead will grip the rim with this. I've used BMX Ghetto for a couple of years now with no issues.

Good luck.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Like moondogg, I used to get pinch flats constantly. One ride up San Juan I got 3 flats at the top, and that was it - I bought tubeless rims and tubeless tires and have never looked back. In 6 years I've had only one flat - it was at Black Mtn, going too fast over a rock garden that tore a hole in the tire. Luckily, I was almost back to the car, so I didn't even attempt a fix on-trail.

I voted "Tubeless with Stans" which for me means both tubeless tires and tubeless rims with a bit of Stans inside. Without the Stans, it was difficult for me to not lose air overnight, or at best over a week.

I could save a lot of weight going with standard tires, but I'm too chicken to get myself stranded with a tear in the sidewall.

The following user would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:16 am 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
And tears in the sidewall make me not want to run tubeless. I've torn many a sidewall and I'm worried about doing it with tubeless tires. I suppose the tubless tires have thicker sidewalls, but still, the money that tubeless rims cost and the extra weight (like my set up isn't heavy enough as it is) just don't seem worth it to me right now. Keep in mind that I'm still a rookie at the knowledge side of wheels and tires for MTBing. I just haven't had enough expierence with them yet to really understand what's worth it over the long haul. Maybe down the road I'll switch to tubeless, but I seem to ride to hard to have tubeless. I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

mikuteit wrote:
... In 6 years I've had only one flat - it was at Black Mtn, going too fast over a rock garden that tore a hole in the tire. ...

....if you rode at human speeds, you know, like bikes are built for, you wouldn't have that problem. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
QuietStorm wrote:
And tears in the sidewall make me not want to run tubeless. I've torn many a sidewall and I'm worried about doing it with tubeless tires. I suppose the tubless tires have thicker sidewalls, but still, the money that tubeless rims cost and the extra weight (like my set up isn't heavy enough as it is) just don't seem worth it to me right now. Keep in mind that I'm still a rookie at the knowledge side of wheels and tires for MTBing. I just haven't had enough expierence with them yet to really understand what's worth it over the long haul. Maybe down the road I'll switch to tubeless, but I seem to ride to hard to have tubeless. I don't know.

TW's Insanity has nailed me both times in the last two rides in the same spot. First was denting my UST rear rim and putting a hole in the sidewall of my tubeless tire right at the bead. The second time was w/ a tube in the tubeless tire and still snakebit the tube. But I'm also not riding buff singletrack.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Go tubeless :bang: for sure and depending on your taste / budget, you can either go tubeless all the way or like my and alot other poeple, get the Stan's kit and smile all the way. ( Less flats, maybe none, improved traction and cost less. )

Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:13 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

GP_pilot wrote:
QuietStorm wrote:

TW's Insanity has nailed me both times in the last two rides in the same spot. First was denting my UST rear rim and putting a hole in the sidewall of my tubeless tire right at the bead. The second time was w/ a tube in the tubeless tire and still snakebit the tube. But I'm also not riding buff singletrack.

I think what GP is trying to say is if you like fireroads the run tubeless. If you like less than buffy the vampire slayer singletrack or nice gentle terrain, or don't like to go big or actually ride throught rock gardens at speed instead of walking through them, you need to stay away from tubeless. They just don't seem to be the best thing when riding in extreme conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
I wouldn't say you are limited to buff singletrack and fireroads with a tubeless set up. If you're going bother posting, then at least keep it realistic. I've been through some pretty heavy chunk with my tubeless set up and never dented rims or tore sidewalls.

UST/Tubeless are perfectly fine for average trail riding with average to above average chunck, rollers and drops thrown in. I wouldn't consider TW average. I wouldn't consider some of the riding I've seen some of you guys do in TR's from up north and out east here in SD average riding.

Would I put a set of UST/Tubeless wheels on a Reign X or a Nomad?? Probably not. Sort of defeats the purpose. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:34 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

PacMan wrote:
If you're going bother posting, then at least keep it realistic.

:hello: Exactly why I posted this in my first post = Keep in mind that I'm still a rookie at the knowledge side of wheels and tires for MTBing. I just haven't had enough expierence with them yet to really understand what's worth it over the long haul.

PacMan wrote:
UST/Tubeless are perfectly fine for average trail riding with average to above average chunck, rollers and drops thrown in. I wouldn't consider TW average. I wouldn't consider some of the riding I've seen some of you guys do in TR's from up north and out east here in SD average riding.

Would I put a set of UST/Tubeless wheels on a Reign X or a Nomad?? Probably not. Sort of defeats the purpose. Just my opinion.

C'mon Doug I'm just saying. There is not a "one size fits all" answer to this question is what I meant by all this. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
I'm using Stans tubeless on my bike primarily because UST is not an option for 29ers. But I've had no issues with it.

Had my first burp last weekend. Went OTB doing a stupid move going down Martha's in Sycamore. There's a sandy patch in the middle of a downhill section and I got crossed up. No significant damage to either myself or the bike, but I hear the front wheel go Psssssssssssssttttttttt.t.t..tt.. and then nothing. Cool! The bead opened up, let out some air, and the Stans resealed it. I just pumped the front wheel back up to 30PSI and continued the ride.

I was riding Sycamore last winter and had a buddy's rear tire burp when crossing the cold streams. I guess after a few stream crossings it got cool and split a seam. Again, just pumped it up and kept riding.

I'm loving the Stans!

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan