It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 101 thanks
Received: 562 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz NomadC & V10c
Favorite Trails: Your mom's happy-trail!
So I'm standing in REI with a Stan's kit in hand and I called my good buddy Dave to ask him a question about the size of my rims (since we have the same bike). Apparently I called MOMENTS after this had all gone down and he was NOT a happy camper. :twisted: :lol:

That fucking sucks bro, sorry you had such a miserable time!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:57 am 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Pretty bad experience there for sure. I have heard some poeple have issues fitting Kendas and as far as pressure is concerened, I have gone up to 55 without any problems only the first time I mount the new tire, and then go lower to 32 in front and 40 in the back without any worries.

I have used Panaracers and Maxxis, so I can't really say much about Kendas. Best of luck this time around if any.

Ali

David-K wrote:
So I spend a few bucks and buy the Stan's kit and a pair of brand new Kenda Nevegal DTC/UST tires. Follow the instructions, mount up the first tire and then attempt to fill it with air to "seat" the bead and end up blowing the bead clear off the rim. Sounded like a Desert Eagle .50 went off in my garage along with the deafness that followed....fucking great. So, I get my shit together and mount the second tire (after cleaning out my pants) and it goes on just fine.

Since blowing the bead off the rim now renders the one tire useless, I head out to buy another. After checking with three different shops, I finally find one in stock and head back to the house to finish the job. Fast forward, after repeated attempts to seat the bead on this tire......guess what.......it blows sky high too. And don't start in with this "you're not supposed to fill it to 100psi" shit either. I filled it to 60 when it decided to let go.

So in the end, I wasted $70 in blown tires, $60 for a Stan's kit and I'm fucking deaf in my left ear. Gee, whata' great way to spend your day off.

I don't know if it was the tires, my rim or perhaps even user error, but I don't care. Back to good 'ol tubes I go as this was a complete and total waste of time and money.