PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Lito,

let us see the picture first and the rest is easy. I can hook you up with the tools. If all fails, see uncle Milt. He is the pro.

Ali

PedalinLito wrote:
Does anyone have the know-how and tools to remove a broken rotor bolt from a hub? I know what to do, I just don't have all the tools. I have the eazy-out, but my drill bits won't touch that hardened bolt! Maybe I should try and get a better drill bit first, but if someone has gone through this already, I would appreciate the help! I don't have the $ to have it removed by laser.
BTW, I didn't break it, I got the wheels from someone and didn't notice it until yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 278 thanks
Received: 279 thanks
Bike(s): GIANT VT2, DB SS
Favorite Trails: Dirt covered easy ones
Yeah, I'm trying to get a decent picture, but the camera on my phone doesn't capture it quite right, so I'm trying to find my camera, I dunno what the kids did with it!
Besides, the bike ain't quite ready to ride yet. I still need to find new rotor bolts (2 sets) the seatpost shim for the seatpost and possibly a new chain (the one I have isn't very worn, but I'm having a slight seating-in issue). JOey is hooking it up with the old Tektro brakes that came off his SS. I already had rotors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Well, I got the darn little bolt out. It was a bit of a nuisance cuz the bolt moved farther down when I was drilling it, it moved so far in it touched and scratched the hub, but oh well, I was finally able to drill the right size hole and got it out with an EZ-out. The threads are still good so it's all good! Now I just need some rotor bolts... Thanks for all the input guys!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
Nice job! Congrats.

--Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
PedalinLito wrote:
I'm running 5 out of 6 lug nuts on 2 wheels on my Tacoma, but I know I can get away with that.

Does anyone else see a trend here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

:oops: ... :mrgreen:

OW!

GP_pilot wrote:
PedalinLito wrote:
I'm running 5 out of 6 lug nuts on 2 wheels on my Tacoma, but I know I can get away with that.

Does anyone else see a trend here?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:12 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 48 thanks
Received: 41 thanks
Favorite Trails: Sweetwater
The OP got his broken bolt out, but maybe this info will help someone else who eventually has to remove a broken bolt.

If you're using a screw extractor to remove a broken bolt, it's best to drill out the bolt with a left-handed drill bit. Yes, there really is such a thing. They twist the opposite way from regular drill bits. To drill a hole, set your reversing drill to turn counter clockwise.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... zmap=95146 Here's a cheap set from Harbor freight for $7.99. They carry them at the Chula Vista store on L street and probably at their other stores as well.

I've only used them once to drill out a broken bolt and the bolt came right out as I was drilling. No need to even use the screw extractor. I've heard and read about other cases when people used them on broken bolts and it's always been with good results.

The following 2 users would like to thank 2 Wheels for his or her post:
PedalinLito, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Thanks for the info. My dad was a mechanic his whole life and I grew up around that, so I was familiar with the reverse drill bit, I just hadn't had a chance to go to mom's to find one. If I woulda found it, that woulda done the trick without any hassle. Those things are awesome! I'm pretty technically savy and a big DIY'selfer, it's all a matter of the proper tools. Thank God I managed to get that bugger out. If anyone needs help, I'm pretty good with fixing stuff. Thanks again bro!

2 Wheels wrote:
The OP got his broken bolt out, but maybe this info will help someone else who eventually has to remove a broken bolt.

If you're using a screw extractor to remove a broken bolt, it's best to drill out the bolt with a left-handed drill bit. Yes, there really is such a thing. They twist the opposite way from regular drill bits. To drill a hole, set your reversing drill to turn counter clockwise.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... zmap=95146 Here's a cheap set from Harbor freight for $7.99. They carry them at the Chula Vista store on L street and probably at their other stores as well.

I've only used them once to drill out a broken bolt and the bolt came right out as I was drilling. No need to even use the screw extractor. I've heard and read about other cases when people used them on broken bolts and it's always been with good results.