All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
I would like to install a Chain Guide on the Stumpjumper and am thinking about switching out the Crankset and Front deraileur while I'm at it...

I'm thinking about a Blackspire DewLite or Stinger, leaning towards the DewLite as it has the top restraint. Now, I can't find any info if the DewLite is compatible with the Saint M815-2 dual chain ring (22-36) Cranks. I think it's a question of dimensions of the bashguard that is on the Saint.

Also, I need an E-type front deraileur. Both chain guides should be compatible, but as far as I know there is no E-type Saint FD. So, I am thinking XTR M970 E-type. Does anyone have an idea if that's the right FD to mount on the seat tube integrated mount my Stumpy came with?

There's a lot of more tech savvy people on here, so please help me out. I seem to not be able to figure it out.

Thanks,

DM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
dirtmonger wrote:
I would like to install a Chain Guide on the Stumpjumper and am thinking about switching out the Crankset and Front deraileur while I'm at it...

I'm thinking about a Blackspire DewLite or Stinger, leaning towards the DewLite as it has the top restraint. Now, I can't find any info if the DewLite is compatible with the Saint M815-2 dual chain ring (22-36) Cranks. I think it's a question of dimensions of the bashguard that is on the Saint.

Also, I need an E-type front deraileur. Both chain guides should be compatible, but as far as I know there is no E-type Saint FD. So, I am thinking XTR M970 E-type. Does anyone have an idea if that's the right FD to mount on the seat tube integrated mount my Stumpy came with?

There's a lot of more tech savvy people on here, so please help me out. I seem to not be able to figure it out.

Thanks,

DM

I think dual ring chain guide systems should work with any 2-ring cranks, if they're designed like the E13 system, they come with spacer guards so depending on the length of your spindle, you put in the appropriate spacers.

I had some issue with using the XTR M970 E-type as it was meant for a triple ring and had a long body. This was no good as it rubbed on my rear tire at full compression. Shimano makes a double ring specific SLX E-Type (M665. I just slapped that on my bike recently along with the SLX double ring cranks. It works absolutely great. You'd think the XTR would be a better shifter but not so -- it's not designed for double ring.

Do a price match at jenson and get it almost the next day. Search around, you should be able to find it cheap.

As far as I know, E-type is not available on Saint Deraileurs and they come standard for 83mm BB. They do offer it in 73mm BB, but that's not a common order. There's really no benefit in having a Saint FD with a 73mm -- plus, it's heavier. I made the mistake of ordering the Saint and it felt like a brick. The SLX FDs are much better and according to recent bike mag reviews, on par with XT quality. I've run XT and XTR FDs on my dual ring setup and hands down, the SLX has been the smoothest shifter.

The following user would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
Are you putting on saint cranks and chain guide on you stumpy?!?!?

Sick bro.. thats sick...

I think you need one of these...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 am 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
I looked at that Uzzi frame at BikeBling. That's a big ass bike, unlike the picture suggests. I thougt it might be the same dimensions as a Heckler, but the frame looks as beefy (and heavy) as the Glory. It's still on the list of frames to look at.

And, yes, Saint BB and chain guide go on the Stumpy. I'm sick of the shifting issues. Saint is cheaper than XTR and I can afford the 300g difference.

Any crankset upgrade to the Glory would likely be the Hammerschmidt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 am 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
dirtmonger wrote:
I looked at that Uzzi frame at BikeBling. That's a big ass bike, unlike the picture suggests. I thougt it might be the same dimensions as a Heckler, but the frame looks as beefy (and heavy) as the Glory. It's still on the list of frames to look at.

And, yes, Saint BB and chain guide go on the Stumpy. I'm sick of the shifting issues. Saint is cheaper than XTR and I can afford the 300g difference.

Any crankset upgrade to the Glory would likely be the Hammerschmidt.

People build up the new uzzis to just over 30lbs. Also check out the 7 or firebird... You can swap most of your parts on the stumpy over.