All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:51 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
I was wondering if anyone knows if stanchions can be removed and reinstalled from the upper crown of a Fox fork, like my 36 Van R. I’m toying with the idea of chroming the stanchions because chrome is much harder and more resilient to nicks and scratches that an anodized tube of aluminum. I just can’t believe Fox hasn’t picked up on what Marzocchi already knows…. well, even though Marzocchis’ are nickel-plated.

Has anyone ever seen a stanchion removed from a crown? Anyone know for sure (from experience or watching or seeing on removed/ be removed) how the stanchion is held into the crown?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Good question. I had this question in mind long ago ( not the chromoing part ) but how they get assembled into the crown. I think they either gets pressed or screwed. I doubt if there is other ways. Hopefully an expert will help us out.

QuietStorm wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows if stanchions can be removed and reinstalled from the upper crown of a Fox fork, like my 36 Van R. I’m toying with the idea of chroming the stanchions because chrome is much harder and more resilient to nicks and scratches that an anodized tube of aluminum. I just can’t believe Fox hasn’t picked up on what Marzocchi already knows…. well, even though Marzocchis’ are nickel-plated.

Has anyone ever seen a stanchion removed from a crown? Anyone know for sure (from experience or watching or seeing on removed/ be removed) how the stanchion is held into the crown?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
These days, they're cryogenically bonded, using either an immense friction bond after heating the crown/freezing the stanchion or a combination of that and "glue".

If you're really set on this, and can navigate around the stanchion diameter issues, you might consider leaving them in place and plating either the entire leg/crown or just having it dunked to the edge of the crown (slightly deeper, with masking).

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
Hey Bro, not sure if the stantions can be replaced as I believe they are pressed in to begin with. However, I don't know that chroming is a good idea either as a chromed surface doesn't dissapate heat well, unlike a polished surface. And as you know, the hotter suspension gets the less damping you have.

Just my $1.98+tax.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
According to Fox, no.

I wore out my uppers last year due to lack of maintenance :oops:

Because of the wear on the stanchions, the entire upper had to be replaced by Fox. I inquired if it had to be the entire upper (steering tube, crown, stanchions) and their answer was yep. It is all one bonded piece. I got to keep my lowers. Not the cheapest repair but at least I didn't have to buy an entire new fork. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
bankerboy wrote:
According to Fox, no.

I wore out my uppers last year due to lack of maintenance :oops:

Because of the wear on the stanchions, the entire upper had to be replaced by Fox. I inquired if it had to be the entire upper (steering tube, crown, stanchions) and their answer was yep. It is all one bonded piece. I got to keep my lowers. Not the cheapest repair but at least I didn't have to buy an entire new fork. :mrgreen:

What was their reason of "lack of maintenance"?

Im pretty stoked on the fox setup I have now but in all honesty, I beat the hell out of my manitou's and never did squat until I decided I wanted to put in Enduro seals.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
[quote="ocdWhat was their reason of "lack of maintenance"?

I'm pretty stoked on the fox setup I have now but in all honesty, I beat the hell out of my manitou's and never did squat until I decided I wanted to put in Enduro seals.[/quote]

My experience is based on the Fox so I cannot comment on the Manitou. Mine, like most Fox forks is an air sprung fork. I never cleaned out my dust seals. Dusted them off and cleaned the stanchion but never cleaned off and re-lubed the foam collar under the seals. Over time (and it was better than 2 years) the dust gets past the seals. Now you have sandpaper bushings that will wear on the stanchions over time. I finally had some down time to send in the forks. I have always been good about the shock but never the forks. I figured now would be a good time to send them in. It was not until they were disassembled that the wear and tear was discovered. The good/bad thing about forks is they will continue to work, even as they are wearing out. Of course you won't know you have a problem until it is too late. In a perfect world, you should have them serviced about every 12 month by a qualified tech. However, there is an easy cleaning procedure listed on the Fox web site about cleaning the dust seals regularly as an interim maintenance. I am doing that this time around and will be a whole lot more vigilant about sending them in more regularly.
I kind of equate it to the dentist. If you know something is wrong, it is too late and the damage has been done. Better to have the preventative maintenance. The forks will work and last longer.

Fox Maintenance Web Site ===> http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

Once you click on the link, you will have a series of chapters on the left side of the screen. For dust wiper maintenance, click on "Service Intervals" It will bring up a series of tables. Find your fork type and follow the link. The dust wipers should be serviced about every 15 hours (According to Fox). Just click on the links in the tables and it will give clear, step by step instructions on various fork maintenances.

I'm sure Manitou has something similar, but as I stated above, I don't have one, so I can't truely comment on it.

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:11 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
I would think of chrome had any advantage whatsoever, there would be more companies on board with it. I could be wrong because Im a dufus who doesnt know anything but I thought I would put my 2 cents in

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Thanks for the responses guys.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:46 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7340 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
bankerboy wrote:
I never cleaned out my dust seals. Dusted them off and cleaned the stanchion but never cleaned off and re-lubed the foam collar under the seals. Over time (and it was better than 2 years) the dust gets past the seals. Now you have sandpaper bushings that will wear on the stanchions over time.

I've got an easier solution for you - just sell that bike every 2 yrs and there will be no need to do any maintenance!

Hmm...let me think, I've had my heckler for 4 yrs now and never done any mtce to the fork or shock. Maybe its time?

Back to the OP - do you have nicks and scratches in your stanchions? I've always used JB weld to fill them and have found it works very well, as does nail polish I'm told.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

evdog wrote:
bankerboy wrote:
I never cleaned out my dust seals. Dusted them off and cleaned the stanchion but never cleaned off and re-lubed the foam collar under the seals. Over time (and it was better than 2 years) the dust gets past the seals. Now you have sandpaper bushings that will wear on the stanchions over time.

I've got an easier solution for you - just sell that bike every 2 yrs and there will be no need to do any maintenance!

Hmm...let me think, I've had my heckler for 4 yrs now and never done any mtce to the fork or shock. Maybe its time?

Back to the OP - do you have nicks and scratches in your stanchions? I've always used JB weld to fill them and have found it works very well, as does nail polish I'm told.

We'll talk about my ideas tomorrow after run 1. :bang:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 58 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): Scott Spark, RFX, Sunday
Favorite Trails: all
ahh, ignorance would have been better...alas I know now. THanks for not crapping in my for sale thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

protocol_droid wrote:
ahh, ignorance would have been better...alas I know now. THanks for not crapping in my for sale thread.

Steamy threads are no good? :lol: :lol: