Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Received today:

Parks and Recreation <parksandrec@carlsbadca.gov>

Attachments11:48 AM (41 minutes ago)

to Parks

Thank you for your email, please see the below response to your inquiry.

Ownership

The Carlsbad Highland Ecological Reserve (CHER) is owned by the State of California, and was acquired to protect native plants and special habitats. CHER was designated as an Ecological Reserve by the Fish and Game Commission in 2000, and is under the jurisdiction of California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). Allowable uses in the reserve are defined at the state level, not the local level.

Per the CFWD, “The Department [CFWD] would not be able to simply turn over the property to the City without making up for the mitigation that the reserve represents. As you can imagine, that would be hugely expensive and very difficult to find a property that would have equal resource value, which would be required under state law.”

Allowable Use

Ecological Reserves are a specific type of preserve where mountain biking is prohibited per Sections 550 (bb) and 630 (g), Title 14, California Code of Regulations. Increased enforcement of this regulation by CDFW has caused conflict with avid mountain bikers, including members of the San Diego Mountain Biking Association and other community groups. Per the CFDW, changing land uses on Ecological Reserves to allow mountain biking could have state-wide precedent setting effects. City of Carlsbad staff may not issue citations or perform enforcement in the reserve since it is not under the city’s jurisdiction.

The subject property is immediately adjacent to the city-owned Lake Calavera Preserve. The city is not banning mountain biking within the preserve, nor does the city have primary oversight of the CDFW-owned CHER. The city Police Department’s Rangers may verbally warn mountain bikers if they observe such activity on the CHER, but the primary line of enforcement will come from the CDFW’s Game Wardens.

The city’s Lake Calavera Trail Guide (attached) notes that the access roads through CDFW land allows only for pedestrian use. No other pedestrian trails are authorized on the reserve property. The guide map reflects the boundary of the city-owned Lake Calavera Preserve and the CDFW-owned Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve. This guide is available on the city website and at city facilities.

CDFW Contact

Below is the contact information for referring callers with complaints regarding the ban on mountain biking within its Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve.

Tim Dillingham

Senior Environmental Scientist/Lands Management Supervisor

South Coast Region

California Department of Fish and Wildlife

3883 Ruffin Road

San Diego, CA 92123

(858) 627-3939

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 474 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
Banker - I am on board with what you are saying, I have never trusted Diane, but she is the reason that land was not bulldozed and turned into houses long ago, so she deserves a little bit of respect. At the very least we should be nice to her, acknowledge all the good she has done and then go about getting legal access to the trails there without Preserve Calavera if possible.

SDMBA is not the only group trying to get access. The newly formed Calavera Trails Coalition is working on this as well.

The following user would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

klurejr wrote:
Banker - I am on board with what you are saying, I have never trusted Diane, but she is the reason that land was not bulldozed and turned into houses long ago, so she deserves a little bit of respect. At the very least we should be nice to her, acknowledge all the good she has done and then go about getting legal access to the trails there without Preserve Calavera if possible.

SDMBA is not the only group trying to get access. The newly formed Calavera Trails Coalition is working on this as well.

Here's how I see her/it
1. She fights to keep that land from being homes and shopping center BUT keeps MTB'ers out: We lose
2. It becomes Homes and shopping centers: We lose.

What is the difference for us?

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
The more I have dug into things, including an email to the local Sierra Club regarding the land, the more EVERYTHING points back to Diane being a Key. The response from Sierra was an email from Diane saying CHER is under the North County Coastal Group, of which she is the Conservation Co-Chair.

The current info we have is that she is willing to talk about solutions if Ben and SDMBA are not involved and I get the feeling she will continue to fight any access if they are directly involved.

We have discussed with SDMBA and they are actively pursuing Political routes while we are working on a real plan that maybe Diane/Preserve Calavera/North County Coastal Group of Sierra will buy onto.

While this route may turn out to be a dead end, we are trying Honey vs Vinegar (which is how SDMBA is perceived by them).

In addition to Calavera directly, to garner good support, we need to join the same causes as Preserve Calavera and Sierra Club in protecting other open spaces and pushing for additional trail systems.

Part of the plan is to Educate Diane and the local cities on what different trails really are. At the moment they perceive any dirt path as a MTN Bike Trail, which they most certainly are not.

We have an Ally that we have never had before Kristin, who is an Environmental Scientist for the DOD on Camp Pendleton, she's a mtn biker and hiker and has already had a sit down with Diane that ended with a hug.... So she is currently our liaison.

The following 3 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
J.A.M., klurejr, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8558 thanks
Received: 11540 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
Kimba wrote:

I know the feeling..........................

:cheers:

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following user would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Big Clyde wrote:
Kimba wrote:

I know the feeling..........................

:cheers:

Both of you, well said...

Mike

Big Clyde
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I received this today from Ryan Keim, Council member in Oceanside:

Hi Mike -

Thank for taking the time to contact me. This issue is also important to me as I was riding my mountain bike almost daily in Calaveras. I have met so far with the California Fish and Wildlife supervisor tasked with the enforcement of biking in Calaveras and then in the afternoon, I sat down with the Trails Coordinator of the San Diego Mountain Bike Association on Friday, April 12. I have also just met with our California Assemblymember to discuss (the 76th District includes the Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve) to see if we can work together on this issue.

I believe we are lucky to have such a wonderful area that enables us to have a healthy outlet from our busy lives. The Oceanside City Council does not have any official jurisdiction over the Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve but you can be assured I am going to do everything I can to work for a solution with all interested parties to still enjoy this special reserve.

Respectfully, Ryan

Ryan Keim
Councilmember
City of Oceanside
Tel: (760) 435-3048
Email: rkeim@oceansideca.org

IF YOU LIVE IN OCEANSIDE, I THINK YOU KNOW WHO TO VOTE FOR NEXT ELECTION :cheers:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
avidtest, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:50 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 55 thanks
Bike(s): Rockymtn
Favorite Trails: Crestline
Long time North county rider and poacher.. Ill thank those that deserve the accolades on behalf of those that used to ride the ole stuff, Somewhereincocal/straybullet/mtblocos... The advocacy no matter how much is supported will not stop the $$$ development creating more and more gridlock and eventual building over many of the trails we know and zen from... For those that want to fight on our behalf "RIGHT ON", thank you!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
New2Gungho wrote:
Long time North county rider and poacher.. Ill thank those that deserve the accolades on behalf of those that used to ride the ole stuff, Somewhereincocal/straybullet/mtblocos... The advocacy no matter how much is supported will not stop the $$$ development creating more and more gridlock and eventual building over many of the trails we know and zen from... For those that want to fight on our behalf "RIGHT ON", thank you!!!!

Agreed, we are well aware of the Development zone. The current fight is for the CDFW owned land that was set aside to make up for all the developed land. The conservation groups are the ones responsible for these lands being set aside for "protection". So moving forward if we partner with those conservation groups to protect other lands from future development, we can hopefully ALL have a place to enjoy.

Although, there have been some interesting ideas floated on how to "buy/protect" the portion currently slotted for future development, but those are ideas and very long way off, I wouldn't even give a 1% of reality to these ideas at this time.

The following user would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
New2Gungho
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Thank you for your work 325. I'm happy to help where needed.

I heard there is a special Orchid, which grows in SD County, that is very protected. Could someone grow a few in the backyard and have them 'found' on prime locations?

The following 2 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

J.A.M. wrote:
I heard there is a special Orchid, which grows in SD County, that is very protected. Could someone grow a few in the backyard and have them 'found' on prime locations?

There are hidden beer bushes out there that have been placed on the endangered species list. :ninja:
:cheers: :drunk:

We all need to do our part to save them

Mike

Big Clyde