It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Given: 55 thanks
Received: 155 thanks
Got up this morning and noticed that the sun was rapidly making its way through the marine layer. Since I have to go to my daughter's open house tonight I should get in a good ride this morning.

Packed up the gear and headed out, forgot my cytomax but since i have have my saltstick pills I was good.

Wasnt sure what i was going to do today as I headed down from MILF park. I decided at the last minute to get the ol ticker going by going up Cholla. No better way to get the HR going then that climb right off the bat. I felt REALLY good as I was able to clean it without problem...even managed to take the shorter route on that last outcropping of rocks just before the finish. +1 point.

Continued on my way towards TOTW, and decided to do the extra credit next to Lynx. Did great on that as well :) +1 point for me.

Went along and cruised up to top of Mathis again no drama my body had settled into a nice riding pace and I was just enjoying the beautiful weather that we're blessed with. Got to top of the world and headed over to Meadows and this time i took note of my time before i started and after. got down in a little bit over EDIT: 5 minutes which for me is pretty good as i'm not the most speedy person down a switchback trail. +2 points for me :)

Headed over the singletrack to meet up the fireroad and got a startled when I saw this bugger sitting on the side of the trail look at me tasting the air.

We stood there at first looking at each other and my thought was shit if he starts heading towards me i'll have to turn around LOL. But he didnt want anything to do w/ me and crossed the trail. As soon as the last part of it's tail cleared the trail i high tailed it passed it and heard the rattler go off...hehe

Got onto the fireroad and decided to do Dripping Cave, made it 2/3 of the way up and had a dab and then finished it off. Relaxed at the top before heading down...

Got down it no drama and headed over to Coyote determined this time to clear that little bit of climb. And wouldnt you know it, I CLEANED IT!!!! woot woot! I let out a manly YEAH and headed down the other side. +3 points :)

Then cruising along at a leisurely pace as I was coming to the junction where rock it meets up w/ coyote, i hear a rider behind me say "is that you foo?" and i said "yup it's me, who are you?" and the rider said "it's Wrecker" we stopped at the junction and chit chatted for a bit and Rachel headed off to finish Coyote and i set off to climb rock it. Believe it or not but Rock It has become my favorite climb at AW :)

Took a few stops to catch my breathe and snap off some more pics
The start of the rock garden

Gratuitous bar shot

I dabbed a few times because of my error, didnt have things weighted properly so i spun and lost control. From bottom to top it took me 15 mins not bad for me :)

Then I decided to head down cholla and out, the great thing about ride late morning is that there's HARDLY ANYONE out so i was able to take cholla and a faster than normal pace ringing my bell occasionally :)

All in all i had a great time riding solo total elevation gain 2198' that's remarkable for me...it's good to be home on vacation :)

Oh and this is what i used to accomplish it with

Last edited by foo29er on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9482 thanks
Received: 5408 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
awesome. i love snakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:54 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Ld00d wrote:
awesome. i love snakes.

that's what she said :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:55 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Dang...thats a big one!!
Nice review Foo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
What is that under your seat Foo - a bottle of NO2 or an air horn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:47 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Phonger wrote:

I think it's a snake call. Or cougar repellent. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:22 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Phonger wrote:

co2 for the quick fill up those 29'er tires take up a lot of air volume ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 430 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trance X2-shes a beast!
Favorite Trails: Noble, ATT, 56, No Dig No Ride
Thats sick, I saw two snakes out i east county last weekend same day. Love you bike man, voodoo?? Very sweet color scheme, careful riding alone!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

thrillride wrote:
Thats sick, I saw two snakes out i east county last weekend same day. Love you bike man, voodoo?? Very sweet color scheme, careful riding alone!

thanks! yah it's kind of spooky sometimes riding alone especially as it gets closer to dusk...that's when the critters get out. The mid day rides are when you spot the cold blooded ones laying out :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

foo29er wrote:
thrillride wrote:

thanks! yah it's kind of spooky sometimes riding alone especially as it gets closer to dusk...that's when the critters get out. The mid day rides are when you spot the cold blooded ones laying out :)

yeah, it's socal: even the reptiles tan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 430 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trance X2-shes a beast!
Favorite Trails: Noble, ATT, 56, No Dig No Ride
Ld00d wrote:
foo29er wrote:
thrillride wrote:

yeah, it's socal: even the reptiles tan.

ha no shit, I was in a canyon two nights ago riding alone and a couple coyotes ran across the path in front of me! Crazy, but I was haulin ass so I wasnt worried about saying hi! lol I'd hate to run over a snake anyone ever do that???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

thrillride wrote:
ha no shit, I was in a canyon two nights ago riding alone and a couple coyotes ran across the path in front of me! Crazy, but I was haulin ass so I wasnt worried about saying hi! lol I'd hate to run over a snake anyone ever do that???

i've run into a bunch of coyotes in my hood. sometimes they're just cruising for cats. i saved one neighbor's cat one time.

I've run over two snakes. I felt bad. I've had one close encounter with a rather pissed young rattler.