It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
when I started it was just a Mt bike, not a hardtail, cuz they are all hard tails. now there is FS, FS 29er, HT29er, HT SS 26er, and 29er, I even have an FS SS 26er. then you get int o the all the materials the frames are made of...Dont get me worng its kinda cool to think about and mull over and ponder. but what happend to two wheels and some pedals? and all the efficient pedaling with clipless...I was just reading all the forums, and its a freak' n complex sport now...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9442 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
spoken like a guy that hasn't built up his ss yet...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
Ld00d wrote:
spoken like a guy that hasn't built up his ss yet...
well I have an SS, and I do ride it now and then...but its not just the shifting because I actually think shift is pretty cool. I think its hanging around forums and reading about people dropping 5K on a Pivot, cuz its the latest can greatest, Iv always been more impressed with the companies that can offer a good to great riding bike for less... Like I was really interested in the Voodoo Canzo, and now that a few members of STR and Foo, have and love them, I wonder how much better can the Evolve, intense,the Salsa and Niners could be?

BTW, how did those Favicon work out? need any changes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:39 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Given: 55 thanks
Received: 155 thanks
it's human nature to complicate things...you start off simple and then you want to improve it...when you improve it doesnt necessarily equate to better/simpler usually more complicated unless you're toyota who seems to get by using things like wiring looms that are similar to camry as it is to a lexus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:25 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9442 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I've only been in the MTB game for about 2 years now, so I don't remember a time when it wasn't complicated. It's pretty cool IMO to have so many options.

Haven't tried the icon yet. I might get to it today. I have a 1st b-day party to attend though...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
I hear you man. After I broke two derailleur hangers in one month over the winter, spent hours fiddling with my DHX-A 5.0 after each ride, bleeding hydraulic brake lines, etc. I was like "WTF".

I was starting to dread riding, and I remembered how much simpler and enjoyable riding was when I rode a hardtail and stopped obsessing over shit.

So, I sold my Chumba over the winter, bought a SS GF Rig, threw a Reba on it converted the tubes to tubless, and I'm loving it. Havn't had a mechanical issue this whole season, and I'm riding the same shit faster on my Wednesday night rides then all the geared FS guys. Its an epiphany! Ride more, obsess over gear less!

:domo:

PS There is no difference between the Canzo or an Intense/Niner/etc, just status!

PSS I will say, clipless pedals are legit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:10 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Evil Chocula wrote:
I hear you man. After I broke two derailleur hangers in one month over the winter, spent hours fiddling with my DHX-A 5.0 after each ride, bleeding hydraulic brake lines, etc. I was like "WTF".

I was starting to dread riding, and I remembered how much simpler and enjoyable riding was when I rode a hardtail and stopped obsessing over shit.

So, I sold my Chumba over the winter, bought a SS GF Rig, threw a Reba on it converted the tubes to tubless, and I'm loving it. Havn't had a mechanical issue this whole season, and I'm riding the same shit faster on my Wednesday night rides then all the geared FS guys. Its an epiphany! Ride more, obsess over gear less!

PS There is no difference between the Canzo or an Intense/Niner/etc, just status!

so is that PS a good thing about a canzo? :)

i've often wondered how the terrain is over there, because everytime i read posts over on MTBR these guys are running crazy gearing; i think to myself these guys must be strong or there arent crazy climbs like we have over here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

foo29er wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:

so is that PS a good thing about a canzo? :)

i've often wondered how the terrain is over there, because everytime i read posts over on MTBR these guys are running crazy gearing; i think to myself these guys must be strong or there arent crazy climbs like we have over here

Yes :lol: .

As for the trails around here... depends what you mean by "around here". The Boston area doesn't have any big climbs like SoCal... but Boston/MA is relatively small when your comparing it to a region like SoCal.

For example, New Hampshire is one hour north from me, and the elevation gains there are alot like the SD/OC rides (smaller the Nevadas or San Gabes though). Vermont is 2 hours North West, and the mountains are bigger there. People don't drive far here though.... I used to hit Noble at leat once a month, and that was 2 hour drive, but I havn't ridden in NH since I moved back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:01 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

for sure i wasnt lumping the entire eastern seaboard as being flat :) just seems like a lot of east coaster ride some gnarly 2:1 gearing etc over there vs over on the west coast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

foo29er wrote:
for sure i wasnt lumping the entire eastern seaboard as being flat :) just seems like a lot of east coaster ride some gnarly 2:1 gearing etc over there vs over on the west coast

haha, werent saying you were! :mrgreen: