PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails

"What's it like to be rich?"

"My friend was settling into her business-class seat on a flight to London when a man making his way to coach asked her that question.

The man seemed a little odd, she said, but he didn't sound hostile. Just curious. Still, she was caught off guard. Instead of ignoring the question or offering a non-answer -- the usual approaches etiquette experts suggest when people ask rude questions about money -- she told him honestly that she hadn't paid for the seat, a company had.

His bluntness and her unease show how loaded the term "rich" can be. It can inspire awe and anger, admiration and envy, curiosity and contempt. "Rich" implies a level of security and ease that many people, including those with a lot of money, don't actually feel.

So you might be interested to learn that if you're reading this sentence, you're probably rich. And no, I don't mean rich in friendships or health or family (although good for you if you are). I mean in material terms.

How can I say that? Well, think about the following:
• We may fret about the price of gas, but at least 85% of the world's population doesn't own a car. (Source: WardsAuto)
• We may hate to pay the utility bill each month, but nearly one-quarter of the world lives without electricity and one-third doesn't have access to basic sanitation, such as a toilet. More than 1 billion people don't have adequate access to clean water. (Scientific American, 2006 United Nations Human Development Report)
• Even people below the poverty line in the U.S. -- which now includes one in seven Americans -- are better off than the vast majority of humanity. Someone earning just $11,000 a year, which is just below the poverty level, actually has more income than 87% of the people on the planet. Nearly 3 billion people live on less than $2 a day, or $730 a year. (GlobalRichList.com, the World Bank)
• You needed an adjusted gross income of $343,927 to make it into the top 1% of U.S. taxpayers in 2009, the latest year for which Internal Revenue Service statistics are available. On the other hand, the U.S. median household income of $51,914 would put you in the top 1% worldwide. (IRS, GlobalRichList.com)

Some of those statistics may surprise you. But they may not make you feel much richer.

That's because we don't tend to look down when we're assessing whether we're wealthy. We look up. If the people above us on the economic ladder can afford business-class seats on overseas flights, we may feel bad about our coach-class seats.

Of course, most of the world couldn't afford the cab fare to the airport, let alone an overseas flight. And those folks in business class may be fretting because they're not passengers on a private jet. (I'm not sure whom the private jet riders envy. Maybe billionaire Sir Richard Branson, with his rockets.)

"It's all a matter of perspective," writes my friend Marla Fisher. "When I go to Newport Beach and visit gorgeous homes with yachts, I feel poor. But when I go to Third World countries and see people living in mud shacks, I know we are rich because we live in a comfortable home with soft beds and plenty of food to eat and have a car to drive and the chance to go on vacation and attend nice clean schools."

We also tend to look back. Our parents and grandparents may not have had easy financial lives. They may not have had all the stuff we have today. But they came up in a time of generally rising incomes. In the U.S., the median income adjusted for inflation still hasn't climbed back to its 1999 peak. For some, reduced expectations make it hard to feel rich.

"Rich" is a pretty squishy term, in any case. When I asked my Facebook fans what it would take for them to feel rich, some set the bar pretty high. For one gentleman, it was "$50 million in total assets and at least $10 million a year in net income." Another wanted $5 million in the bank.

"I wouldn't feel rich even making $250,000 a year because I'd feel like that could end at any time and I'd be in danger of not meeting my nest egg goals," he said.

Several said being rich would mean being having no debt. Some said they'd feel rich if they didn't have to work anymore. Others just wanted a job they could count on.

"I'd feel 'rich' if I were in a job that provided for my basic needs: rent, food, utilities, with a little extra for fun or a vacation sometimes," one woman wrote. "I'd feel richer if I knew the job was permanent and safe. I've been laid off more times in four years that I can really count anymore."

Another woman put it succinctly: "Rich is never having to stop and think if there's enough money in the bank account to pay for whatever is on the counter."

Why should we ask ourselves this question? It's not a pointless exercise. Questioning and challenging our feelings about wealth can actually help us achieve some.

If your expectations are unrealistic, you probably won't create a plan that might get you ahead. If your goals are achievable, you might.

You aren't likely to be able to buy a professional sports team, for example, so starting to save for one is silly. You could, on the other hand, build up an emergency fund so you don't have to be quite so terrified of losing your job. You could contribute to a retirement plan, so someday you'll have the choice to stop working. You could start to pay down your debt, so you can free yourself of your lenders.

Small potatoes, you think? Perhaps. But small contributions over time can build up into real money -- money that can help you achieve the freedom, security and ease most of us associate with being rich."

~Liz Weston~
Liz Weston is the Web's most-read personal-finance writer. She is the author of several books, most recently "The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy"

The following 12 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, Lanceuppercut, mtbgurlSD, OhNooo, OldDogDan, ride00, rob240z, Slowgrind
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:28 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
Thanks for posting this. Made me stop for a minute and give thanks for all that I have, and to adjust my perspective a bit on what I don't.

So thanks for taking the time to post it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23374 thanks
Received: 17549 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Red Hot Sloth wrote:
..."rich in friendships or health or family"...

There's what really matters.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 26 thanks
Bike(s): specialized enduro, crf450
Favorite Trails: nobel, anderson truck, 56
great post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 pm 
Man of Liesure
Man of Liesure

Given: 4069 thanks
Received: 1942 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpjumper 29er
Favorite Trails: Calavera,Chaa Creek Bze
The last time I went back to Belize, a friend reminded me of the time I didn't own any riding shoes, and was going on a 50 miler with toe clips; :idea: I went to a thrift store and bought a pair of leather shoes with a pointy toe, $2.00, "I had a plan" the ones people wear to church, chopped off the heel and with a hack saw (just the blade, no holder) I created a grove that would hook unto the rear of the pedal once I tighten the toe straps :lol: went out and hammered my 50 with comfortable feet :lol: "I am a RICH MAN today". Our daily decisions and reactions are based on our life experiences, so forgive the man that appears to be an asshole :thumbsup:

The following 5 users would like to thank Belizean for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, mtbgurlSD, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 272 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Developing a damn quivvvvver!
Favorite Trails: Any with dirt!
I have always been rich. I have not always been wealthy.
I 'made it' (using modern venacular to describe being rich) when
my wife agreed to marry me almost 30 years ago.
Yes, I own our dream home (designed by my wife while I was chief
slave for the trades who built it.) My garage is larger than most homes,
I have a plethora of toys and a quivver of bikes most would be jelouse of,
but when I describe wealth, I think of waking up next to my wife.
I promised God that as long as He lets me do that one thing, I will
always be satisfied with where I'm at in life.
I am richly blessed with a wealth of gifts from our Father.

*edit*
After someone pointed out that the above might be interpreted as a post
by some arrogant bastard (of which I drink!) it was not intended as a
boast, although it does read that way!
:cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank Broke That for his or her post:
OhNooo, Red Hot Sloth