Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 587 thanks
Received: 625 thanks
Bike(s): Intense M9
Favorite Trails: Noble, Sycamore, Stonewall
My repair shop is closing soon.

Back story:

I own an automotive repair shop in National City. I'm renting a building along a main thoroughfare that was placed under eminent domain while my business was operating. A property development company bought the entire block, counting on the new zoning. Then eminent domain was rescinded, leaving the development company with an old building they can't tear down till the zoning changes. January 2010, the zoning was eventually changed, but being an existing business, my license and zoning have grandfathered in. Since about June 2009, the block I'm on has been losing tenants. Currently only 3 businesses occupy the block compared to 8 businesses prior to June 2009.

/backstory

The lease I signed with the previous landlord, which thankfully was honored by the development company, is up for renewal next week. My current landlord (development company) was just here about an hour ago. They informed me that they will not renew my lease and served me with a 60 day notice to vacate.

I'm actually glad they picked a Friday to do this instead of mid week. At least I have tonight to drink the numbness away and the rest of the weekend to figure out my next step.

With me having to send $10k+ to Philippines to help pay for my uncle's burial and medical bills, compounded with the fact that business has been epic slow for month's and I've all but cleared out my savings keeping it going; this might be a blessing in disguise. Had business not picked up, I'd eventually have to close anyways. If it didn't pick up, I'd only be able to keep it running till about June.

Gonna break the bad news to my employees tomorrow morning. I can employ them for the full 60 days to finish jobs on hand + a few more coming in, clean up, and move equipment to storage. I hope they can find work if I can't open up somewhere else soon.

I'm gonna start looking for new diggs come Monday, but finding something that's half of what I have (ahem.. had) for the same price is gonna be near impossible. Hopefully I find something. The prospect of having to look for a job, after being self employed for 10 years, scares the buhgeebus outta me.

Good thing I keep a flask of scotch in my desk..... cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
I'll pray for you. I hope you find a good place to move your shop to and that business picks up.

The following user would like to thank abzillah for his or her post:
noissiM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

abzillah wrote:
I'll pray for you. I hope you find a good place to move your shop to and that business picks up.

Thank you. I'll need all the prayers and luck I can get.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23374 thanks
Received: 17549 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Sheesh! 60 days is not much to relocate a business. That stinks. Actually in my opinion most of what goes on with eminent domain stinks. Some projects do eventually benefit the populace in the long run, which is the idea, but primarily they enrich developers and political cronies at the expense of guys like you and your employees.

Best of luck with whichever way you go. Even if not right away, hopefully you'll find a better location at a reasonable rate and re-open successfully. And condolences on the loss of your uncle.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
noissiM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

OldDogDan wrote:
Sheesh! 60 days is not much to relocate a business. That stinks. Actually in my opinion most of what goes on with eminent domain stinks. Some projects do eventually benefit the populace in the long run, which is the idea, but primarily they enrich developers and political cronies at the expense of guys like you and your employees.

Best of luck with whichever way you go. Even if not right away, hopefully you'll find a better location at a reasonable rate and re-open successfully. And condolences on the loss of your uncle.

Thank you.

I agree, eminent domain does suck for the most part. I wish it went through though... even though I didn't own the lot, I would have been paid equal to 2 years gross income. Woulda been nice.

The following user would like to thank noissiM for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you can secure new spot and keep your customers. Oftentimes when one door shuts another opens.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
oh man, that's bad news.

if nothing else this site is a commitment to community. we're always able to mobilize people here for trail work and other activities. this is a whole different league.

if and when there's anything we can do to help, move or whatever, post up.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Strangely enough, my next door neighbor didn't open shop today. He's got a half full lot of cars to fix and worked normal hours yesterday. When he doesn't open up, one of his employees always opens up, unless it's a major holiday. Wondering if he got the same news I did. He's been here longer than I have and should have a better lease than me. Hope the vacate hammer hasn't hit him too.