PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 13 thanks
Received: 17 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Specialized Pitch
Favorite Trails: PQ Canyon
Cyanide41 wrote:
Long turn around times are pretty common when having work done. They say the work load is to great. If I was a better mechanic I would look at opening my own shop.

PacMan wrote:
I'd cut bait now and start going to another shop with a better mechanic. I've been in Black Mt Bikes twice and both times it was a bad experience.

It sounds like they are feeding you a bunch of B.S. because that should be a simple fix. It's understandable if they're too busy to work on your bike the second you bring it in. But not being able to fix it by now is ridiculous.

i understand long turn arounds are pretty common due to other bikes having to be worked on but I feel that when you bring it in they should be able to take a look at it real quick and tell you what needs to be done instead of just saying were busy so leave it here and pick it up next week. Chis, one of the mechanics there, looked at it the first time I brought it in, which was 2 weeks after I bought it, threw it on the stand and was able to tell me and showed me what was wrong. everytime I walk into that shop I always hope that hes there cause he seems like the most honest and chill guy there. Mike, comes in at 2nd but I dont see how he knew it was my cassette right off the bat w/o turning the cranks

I probably will end up cutting bait. You guys recommend any other shops?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
HVYrider wrote:
I probably will end up cutting bait. You guys recommend any other shops?

Tom at the Vista Bicycle Warehouse is a great wrench. Diego at Beyond is great too. He used to be at Bicycle Warehouse. You should have a great experience with either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 am 
Participant
Participant

beyond = beyond bikes in carmel mtn?

i would feel kinda weird bringing in a specialized bike from blk mtn bikes seeing that they carry all those hella expensive bikes lol but oh well. i was planning on visiting that shop today

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 am 
Participant
Participant

...ended up just being a stretched cable :roll:

but I havent ridden it yet to see if it still jumps/skips. it was too damn hot yesterday :flame:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:56 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
"Stretched cable" is a misnomer and I hope this explanation helps you understand what even many shop guys don't about what's really going on when that diagnosis comes about, since cables really don't stretch:

1) the cable slipped at a cinch point, like a derailleur or brake set screw.

2) it was a housing problem, all along. The cable housing(s) may not have been fully seated in the ferrule/end caps, and may even be hung up on the side of one. This happens with mechanical brakes when we unhook them, generate slack, the housing pops out of the end cap and then hangs up on the end when we re-install whatever, or it happens with new bikes or installations because it just never got correctly seated at the time of installation.

Now here's the sinister part: the sticky/unsettled cable housing can settle down during a ride, but then later discombobulate itself due to temperature, getting yanked on, etc... This could be because of a snag on the side of the housing, a cracked end cap/ferrule or a really crooked cut on the end of the housing. Heck, it could be due to a smashed/crushed end on housing someone cut with dykes instead of a wheel. So, you can "fix it" with a derailleur adjustment and then, the next day, WTF???!

I've built or recabled a lot of bikes and I have developed a dislike for the "oem/cheapo" cable housings with plastic end cap/ferrules. On a fresh new bike, though, it just doesn't make sense to rip all that off of there and replace it with "high end cable housing" from a kit that includes nice ferrules (can we all say Avid, together now?), so I suggest you just pop your derailleur housing out of the stop(s) and check the end caps to ensure they're seated all the freaking way down on the housing. While you're at it, slide the housing to expose cable that's "inside" and give it a drop of two of chain lube oil (not "dry" or "wax" style) like ProLink.

If you find a cracked end cap/ferrule or discover a nasty end on the housing, then it will be worth your while to recable it -- a job you can easily do, even if you have to come over and use my shed to do it. I'm sick, I ain't helpin' though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:13 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
HVYrider wrote:
beyond = beyond bikes in carmel mtn?

i would feel kinda weird bringing in a specialized bike from blk mtn bikes seeing that they carry all those hella expensive bikes lol but oh well. i was planning on visiting that shop today

Ya--Beyond Bikes, off World Trade. I wouldn't worry about bringing any type of bike in there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 pm 
Participant
Participant

thanks guys. ill take a look at it and hopefully not mess anything else up lol