All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:34 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
Just wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback from some of you regarding the pluses and minuses of buying on-line(i.e. Price Point/Chain Love)/chain retailer(i.e. Bicycle Warehouse/Performance Bicycle) vs. the local independent shop(insert name here) and vice versa.

It's been my experience, while limited, that the local guy generally charges more and you end up ordering parts anyway. Though this is supposed to be offset by the one-on-one customer service that they sell you on up front. In contrast, some on-line stores (i.e. Price Point) seem happy and equipped to handle virtually any customer service contingency. They also appear to have stock on hand and seem able to ship to your door in a day or two.

Again, this is not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, but more fact gathering on my part for possible future purchases.

All of your thoughts are welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:13 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
I would love to purchase all my stuff at a local shop however as you stated they seem to have to order it anyway and you end up waiting. Local shops can’t compete with the prices from online shops even with shipping. I seem to by very little form the shops in town, especially when I know that it is so much cheaper online. If it is something I am researching then online usually wins out, however if I just happen to be in the shop and I see something I need (want) I usually pick it up. You always want to help out the local shop, but in these times hell it is every man for himself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 436 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): toomanytolistand2crackedframes
Favorite Trails: illegal ones
Bike Bling.
It's your one-stop-shop. You can order online and it still goes to serve a small buisness here in SD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
Local VS Online. . . the strugle that no one will have the right answer to.
They both serve a purpose. I do all my own work on my bikes, and I own all my own tools, so the service that I get from local bike shops is purely as a way to be part of the local community.
I have been riding for 12+ years so I usually know as much about bikes as the guy at the shop does (NOTE: this statement excludes Dave at Soul Cycles - he's the man, and has more experience in the industry than most)
(Shameless Soul Cycles Plug)
If i need some energy stuff, or inertubes, or a small part i will hit up soul cycles. If i need a piece of equipment, i order it online - The local shop just can't compete with a online company that will buy hundreds or thousands of every part, they are going to sellit for potentially less than what the local shop will pay for it without their markup.
Usually the local shop will know about group rides, secret spots, etc.
Newbies should find a good and knowledgeable local shop when starting out. They will be able to give you invaluable tips, and help you get everything set up right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:11 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Here is my point of view.

It's good to find a LBS with service, when your starting out. As we all know, by the wrong parts sucks when your a newbie. Yes it cost a little more, but when your buying the right shit first, instead of upgrading from the some cheap ass part that failed on you.

Once you start getting your skills, on maintaining a bike then yes I see no problem on buying your parts wherever you want. Most online retailers, also have a walk in store. So it's not a person selling parts cheap out of their house.

Bottom line for me is price at this point. When I want something, I find the best price.Period.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:44 am 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Local shops charge extra becasue of the fact the have huge overheads, ie, rent, insurance, electricity, advertising, ............. so they have to charge a higher fee to cover those expenses.

Meanwhile, online companies mainly operate out of a warehouse, with less of those expeses, therefore they are able to offer you a better price.

I like to support local stores, as we are a small store that need the support of the community, but again, with this tough economical times, it is hard to pay the extra green when you can have them for less delivered to your door.

In my own case, recently, I have bought items off classifed ads for alot less than other vendors.

It is basically up to your judgment and spending habbits where to shop, but try them all, even ebay, and go for it.

The bottom line is you want you rig ready and tuned for your pure riding pleasures, no matter, where the parts come from.

Keep the wheels spinning buddy. :thumbsup:

David-K wrote:
Just wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback from some of you regarding the pluses and minuses of buying on-line(i.e. Price Point/Chain Love)/chain retailer(i.e. Bicycle Warehouse/Performance Bicycle) vs. the local independent shop(insert name here) and vice versa.

It's been my experience, while limited, that the local guy generally charges more and you end up ordering parts anyway. Though this is supposed to be offset by the one-on-one customer service that they sell you on up front. In contrast, some on-line stores (i.e. Price Point) seem happy and equipped to handle virtually any customer service contingency. They also appear to have stock on hand and seem able to ship to your door in a day or two.

Again, this is not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, but more fact gathering on my part for possible future purchases.

All of your thoughts are welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Bicycle Warehouse in Vista - best of both worlds. I usually do most of the wrenching on my bikes but the mechanic there, Tom, has helped me out a few times and given advice other times. All at no charge and no pressure to buy new stuff.
So in return, I try to buy most of the normal stuff I need from them. For more expensive items that are cheaper online, Bicycle Warehouse has always matched the price I would have paid including shipping. It may take them a few days to get something, but I'm not any $$$.

I also like the manager there, Mark, and sometimes just stop by to shoot the shit.

The following user would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
PacMan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Brian wrote:
Bicycle Warehouse in Vista - best of both worlds. I usually do most of the wrenching on my bikes but the mechanic there, Tom, has helped me out a few times and given advice other times. All at no charge and no pressure to buy new stuff.
So in return, I try to buy most of the normal stuff I need from them. For more expensive items that are cheaper online, Bicycle Warehouse has always matched the price I would have paid including shipping. It may take them a few days to get something, but I'm not any $$$.

I also like the manager there, Mark, and sometimes just stop by to shoot the shit.

+1

I only have experience with the Vista store, so I can only speak about that location. That being said, Tom is a top-notch wrench and doesn't fix what isn't broken and is a real cool guy. The sale people don't work on commission, so they don't try to get you to buy stuff you don't need.

As far as online shops having lower overhead which let's them offer a better price--well, not necessarily. I would say the main reason is: the higher the number you buy in bulk, the cheaper you pay per unit. So, the online shops move more product, so in turn they buy in bulk and get a cheaper price--allowing them to sell it at a cheaper price.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:06 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Try asking your LBS to price match the online retailers. I know you can do this at North of the Border. Sometimes they can even beat online prices. You never know until you ask. You'll probably wait a couple more days while they order it and you'll have to go pick it up. Not quite as convenient as ship to home/office, but you support the local economy.

Also, +2 on Vista BW and Tom the mechanic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:24 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 105 thanks
Received: 143 thanks
Bike(s): giant trance, surly lht
Favorite Trails: swoopy ones
moondogg wrote:
Try asking your LBS to price match the online retailers. I know you can do this at North of the Border. Sometimes they can even beat online prices. You never know until you ask. You'll probably wait a couple more days while they order it and you'll have to go pick it up. Not quite as convenient as ship to home/office, but you support the local economy.

Same here, I just ask my local bike shop to price match or come relatively close. I realize it cuts their profit margin down a bit, but at least they retain a return customer.

The following user would like to thank deno for his or her post:
moondogg