All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 4 thanks
Received: 24 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Calavera & La Costa
I am getting a 2 inch hitch installed on my Subaru to help transport my two kids bikes and my cruiser (my mountain bike will remain secure on the roof rack). I was ready to drop the cash on a Thule T2 hitch mount bike rack, but only to find out that it will not accommodate the 16 inch wheels that my kids' toddler bikes are. I have called eTrailers (they did have a couple of suggestions, but I feel I have to take the bikes and try them out on the suggestions first) and Rack Attack (they said they have nothing that could help me and to just put them in the car), but with no real perfect solution.

Here is where I need the forum's help.

I need advice as to how any of you may have transported your kid's toddler bikes using a hitch mount. Putting them in the hatchback is not an option, since we are going camping in August and I need the room for camping gear.

If you have pictures, that would also be fantastic.

I am considering getting a couple Yakima tube tops so I can put them on a Swagman XP or Yakima Big Horn, as a temporary fix (for the couple of years they will be on these bikes).

Once they have upgraded to a 20 inch or bigger bike, then the Thule T2 will be the option once again.

Please Dirt Treaders, you're my only hope!

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:12 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

I think I found a solution: the 1upUSA hitch rack will accommodate 16 inch wheels...anyone use one of these before with a 4 bike configuration? Price is a bit steep, but they look like they can be handed down to my kids' kids when I am dead and gone...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 13 thanks
Received: 36 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Remedy, Intense 951
Favorite Trails: Mission, LaCosta, Noble
I use the 1UPUSA and love it. It doesn't matter if I'm carrying my DH, AM, HT, cruiser w/ a surfrack or any of my friends bikes. I haven't tried a 16" wheeler yet, but I think if you move the wheel "blocks" on the uprights you shouldn't have any problems.
I know 1UP only recommends 3 bikes max, but I think this is a weight issue. It uses a 1-1/4" aluminum tube into the receiver hitch. If your 3rd & 4th bikes are smaller kids bikes, you might be okay. I'll say this though, I have carried (3) 35+ pound bikes simultaneously without worry.
If you're in the Kearny Mesa area, feel free to check mine out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 377 thanks
Received: 188 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Unit
Favorite Trails: The ones with hills
Check out the Yakima holdup. It says it holds from 14-29 inch wheels. There was an online coupon floating around online for an additional 10% off. Free tax and shipping!

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-ho ... 02433.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Good looking out on the Yakima Hold Up...What's funny is that I called Rack Attack (who carries Yakima and Thule racks) and they did not even mention this. I will make a call directly to Yakima as well as 1upUSA. It is a hard call. I've heard the Yakima sways after some time. Thanks for the help guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
I have this one and love it. Quick and easy to use plus it's light. I have it on my G35 Infiniti that has a 1 1/4 hitch but it has a 2" adapter that works great. The hitch pin tightens up to get rid of the wiggle and play. I purchased it off amazon and paid about $130 for it.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/brands/swa ... k/?F_All=Y

Just purchased this 4 bike rack last week at Performance bikes. It "Ok" but I think the Swagman bike hooks are so much better and faster. Had 4 bikes on it and it rode fine

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Pr ... 1___400170

Edit: You should be able to get any size bike on these racks since the hoops that hold the tires adjust in and out

Mike

Last edited by Dirtrider on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
You can use the T2 with 16" wheels. I've put 16" up to 29" wheels on ours. You just have to put the arm off the front of the bike a little more instead of from the top but it holds steady. If I can get home from work before dark (unlikely these days) I'll try and snap a pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

That would be great!

I had ordered a T2 only to find out that on paper it does not show it can handle a 16 inch wheel...and I will be driving to Tahoe with 2 kids bikes on them.

I am looking to get a Yakima Hold Up, but would rather get the T2 if it can fit them.

any sway or concerns for such a long trip with such a small bike on the T2?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:17 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
no sway concerns, of course it's kind of hard to see her bike out the back as it's so much shorter. Usually just see the tassels on the handlebars. We bring the kids bikes when we go camping up in Julian and I haven't had a problem. As a precaution, I do run a cable around all the bikes when travelling.