PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:32 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
danwfoster wrote:
Welcome! I have to agree with what the others have said. A few more rides and maybe some padded bike shorts and you'll be good to go. I was having the same problem when I first started.

+1…. Welcome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:18 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 47 thanks
Received: 21 thanks
Bike(s): Rockhopper
Favorite Trails: All of them
leoffensive wrote:
danwfoster wrote:
Welcome! I have to agree with what the others have said. A few more rides and maybe some padded bike shorts and you'll be good to go. I was having the same problem when I first started.

where should i go for some padded bike shorts. i went on another ride again today(a much shorter one probably about 2 or 3 miles since my legs started burning real good a lot faster today)

i think im just gonna ride around on flat ground and get used to pedaling for longer periods of time to see if it will build endurance and then move to tackling hills.

I would check http://www.chainlove.com for a good deal on mountain bike shorts. They only put up one item at a time, but they're usually anywhere from 50 to 80% off. Just check back often, I got a good pair for really cheap off there. Just make sure they come with a liner.

There's also another website with the same type of setup called http://www.bonktown.com that sells road bike specific stuff. You could get a pair of padded lycra shorts off there and throw them on under a pair of shorts you already have. They're pretty much the same thing as the mtb short liners.

The following user would like to thank danwfoster for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Welcome, and congratulations on making a positive change with enthusiasm! Yes, the padded shorts will help, and, since you're on a budget, maybe you can find some on sale at Performance Bike or REI. Also, gloves with full fingers are nice when you fall. It's hard to tell from the photo, cuz the bike's leaning some, but maybe your bike seat needs to be adjusted a little. The nose should be level or pointing up slightly, definitely not down. Ask somebody, or the Trek shop, and make sure the height is right -- your legs and knees will feel better. Knee should be just slightly bent at bottom of pedal stroke. Just simple pointers, but might help if the bike shop didn't spend much, or any, time fitting the bike to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 pm 
Mrs. RHS
Mrs. RHS

Given: 1279 thanks
Received: 1594 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur / Titus ML1
Favorite Trails: There are so many...
Welcome!!!

:hello:

We're not saints, we're not villains. We all make choices and decisions every day that shape our destiny - and in a small way, the world's.

- @HiddenCash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
Hey, welcome to DT! Check chainlove.com frequently. They have deal updates every half hour and shorts, among other things, come up regularly.

The following user would like to thank rob240z for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
danwfoster wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
danwfoster wrote:

where should i go for some padded bike shorts. i went on another ride again today(a much shorter one probably about 2 or 3 miles since my legs started burning real good a lot faster today)

i think im just gonna ride around on flat ground and get used to pedaling for longer periods of time to see if it will build endurance and then move to tackling hills.

I would check http://www.chainlove.com for a good deal on mountain bike shorts. They only put up one item at a time, but they're usually anywhere from 50 to 80% off. Just check back often, I got a good pair for really cheap off there. Just make sure they come with a liner.

There's also another website with the same type of setup called http://www.bonktown.com that sells road bike specific stuff. You could get a pair of padded lycra shorts off there and throw them on under a pair of shorts you already have. They're pretty much the same thing as the mtb short liners.

thanks for the suggestions ill be checking them out right now

OldDogDan wrote:
Welcome, and congratulations on making a positive change with enthusiasm! Yes, the padded shorts will help, and, since you're on a budget, maybe you can find some on sale at Performance Bike or REI. Also, gloves with full fingers are nice when you fall. It's hard to tell from the photo, cuz the bike's leaning some, but maybe your bike seat needs to be adjusted a little. The nose should be level or pointing up slightly, definitely not down. Ask somebody, or the Trek shop, and make sure the height is right -- your legs and knees will feel better. Knee should be just slightly bent at bottom of pedal stroke. Just simple pointers, but might help if the bike shop didn't spend much, or any, time fitting the bike to you.

thanks for the advice. i do have the height set correctly(something my uncle taught me when i younger that i still remember) i am definitely gonna tilt the seat back a hair to see how it rides for me tomorrow.

rob240z wrote:
Hey, welcome to DT! Check chainlove.com frequently. They have deal updates every half hour and shorts, among other things, come up regularly.

will do thank you

The following user would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 305 thanks
Received: 196 thanks
Bike(s): Canfield Brother's The One+YS
Favorite Trails: The one's with dirt
Welcome and congrats on making a positive change-Sounds like you are on the right track.

Btw nice gun safe is it a ranger series ?

The following user would like to thank SoCalNomadRider for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
Welcome! Bummer about your DUI, but glad it put you in the direction of mountain biking. Same thing happened with me and I've loved mountain biking for over 2 years now! DT is a great place to get you stoked on riding.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:27 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

SoCalNomadRider wrote:
Welcome and congrats on making a positive change-Sounds like you are on the right track.

Btw nice gun safe is it a ranger series ?

thanks a lot. i dont know about the series i bought it from costco.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

badkittyjing wrote:
Welcome! Bummer about your DUI, but glad it put you in the direction of mountain biking. Same thing happened with me and I've loved mountain biking for over 2 years now! DT is a great place to get you stoked on riding.

yea this site seems awesome. seems like a lot of people who id get along with well. all this talk about beers makes me bummed about my quitting but its all good

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
leoffensive wrote:
badkittyjing wrote:

yea this site seems awesome. seems like a lot of people who id get along with well. all this talk about beers makes me bummed about my quitting but its all good

I either always make sure I have a designated driver or I just don't drink. It's not worth it and the company is great even if you're not drinking. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

badkittyjing wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
badkittyjing wrote:

I either always make sure I have a designated driver or I just don't drink. It's not worth it and the company is great even if you're not drinking. :)

yea i cant wait to get with a group ride

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
welcome.

for butt relief i'll have to agree with the chainlove.com suggestion, as well as performance or rei if you just want to get a pair of lycra cycling shorts to put under regular shorts. dickies shorts are tough as nails and can be had at walmart for cheap. won't be as comfy for longer rides as dedicated bike shorts, but work just fine. for hot summer days swim trunks over the lycra work too.

hope to see you around.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
jSatch wrote:
for hot summer days swim trunks over the lycra work too.

Just don't wear a speedo over cut-down lycra like jSatch does -- that's his signature look.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
jSatch, leoffensive
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Canaan wrote:
jSatch wrote:
for hot summer days swim trunks over the lycra work too.

Just don't wear a speedo over cut-down lycra like jSatch does -- that's his signature look.

....and don't forget the bling

Attachments:
speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg [ 28 KiB | Viewed 7109 times ]

The following 3 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan, DWill, leoffensive