All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:11 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
We are Mt Bikers. A Sometimes grouped and sometimes solo niche of outdoor enthusiasts with a common goal. To enjoy what we have to play around on. We are for the most part more environmentally conscious than the average person. Proof is in when you notice a piece of trash alongside a trail or wherever. One of the first things that comes to my mind is...a mt biker wouldn't have done that.
There are a few things we need to consider though as we enjoy what we have. We have a respnsibility to be trailwise and low impact. I feel we also have a responsibility to educate and encourage this behavior with newer riders that don't understand these "golden rules".
In no specific order I feel these courtesies should be considered. We are after all...Mt Bikers, and whether we like it or not we are all ambassadors to our sport as a whole. The actions of one can lead non mt bikers to believe those are the actions of a whole.

Yielding trail: Equestrians and hikers have the right of way. I personally dismount in the presence of equestrians, and walk past unless expessly informed its alright to ride past, and usually I still walk past. I give my salutations and go on my happy way. Hikers have the right of way, I don't dismount for hikers, but I do slow down and move to one side of the trail or the other. I give salutations and I'm on my way.

Climbing/Descending: The rider climbing has the right of way. While descending it is our responsibility to move to the side of the trail to allow the climber clear or reasonable access. This has been the product of many a debate, but the fact remains...climber has the right of way.

Stopping on Trail: When coming to a stop on the trail it is advisable to move to the side of the trail to allow other riders and trail users clear or reasonable access past you both climbing and descending. When we ride in a group we might not be able to clear a section but the guy right behind you might, lets allow him/her the opportunity to clear this section without having to dismount because you wanted to or had to stop. No biggie, just side step a bit and let them pass.

Litter: Pack out at the minimum of what you pack in. Goo wrappers, tubes, chain links..whatever it is, please pack it out.

Skidding: On singletrack, skidding around switchbacks or turns is unacceptable. Skidding to a stop is unacceptable as well. If its a closed course expressly set-up for sanctioned races it is acceptable. This is SoCal, we have some strange soil conditions here, in the dry months we get braking bumps, loose silty trails, the more you skid, the worse it gets.Then it rains in the winter and washes the trail out because skidding has removed the larger particles holing the smaller particles in place.
Although, some cases of skidding are of course expected..such as when your on hardpack loose soil conditions and it was inevitable, or fireroad fun. Sometimes it just happens by mistake. Nobody is perfect.

These are just some thoughts I've been having. It used to be when Mt Biking was just past its infancy this was discussed a lot in publications. Now it seems most of the publications have..I don't know, kind of put the basics of what our responsibilities are on the backburner. I see the sport gaining popularity at an alrming rate and feel that right now we need to keep this in mind more than before as we can a much more massive impact than we did when there werent as many newcoming riders.

There is more I will add to the list as time goes on. As far as giving salutations on the trail, of course thats not part of the "golden rules", but it doesn't hurt either.
But remember this...

We Are All Ambassadors To The Sport Whether We Like It Or Not

The following 12 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, David-K, Dirty Boo, FatWhat?, Kimba, Ld00d, liquidmagnum, moondogg, PedalinLito, Phonger, singletrackmitch, Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:07 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Oops, I almost forgot, suggestions to list are welcomed. :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:13 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
and we don't ride naked.
Attachment:
t3.jpg
t3.jpg [ 56.24 KiB | Viewed 11299 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
Yielding trail: Equestrians and hikers have the right of way. I personally dismount in the presence of equestrians, and walk past unless expessly informed its alright to ride past, and usually I still walk past. I give my salutations and go on my happy way.

Yeah thats admirable, I ride by slowly, saying hello WAY early, if the horse knows your there, usually the elite dont mind if you ride slowly. Nevertheless, the general rule IS to dismount and pray the poor horsie doesnt get freaked out and drag the elites into the low hanging branches therefore ruining what would have been a truly Splendid DAY!!!!!!!!!! Damn Poop Factories

The following 2 users would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
Kimba, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Red Hot Sloth wrote:

Skidding: On singletrack, skidding around switchbacks or turns is unacceptable. Skidding to a stop is unacceptable as well. If its a closed course expressly set-up for sanctioned races it is acceptable. This is SoCal, we have some strange soil conditions here, in the dry months we get braking bumps, loose silty trails, the more you skid, the worse it gets.Then it rains in the winter and washes the trail out because skidding has removed the larger particles holing the smaller particles in place.
Although, some cases of skidding are of course expected..such as when your on hardpack loose soil conditions and it was inevitable, or fireroad fun. Sometimes it just happens by mistake. Nobody is perfect.

You seem to be taking shots at my tendency of relying on my back brake when I hit downhills like La Costa. Just for that, I will skid even more to make you eat more of my red dust. You a***h***le!

:lol:

The following user would like to thank Phonger for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
the front brake is your friend

except when it's not...

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:12 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Phonger....
I heart U!!!
The Sloth

Phonger wrote:
Red Hot Sloth wrote:

You seem to be taking shots at my tendency of relying on my back brake when I hit downhills like La Costa. Just for that, I will skid even more to make you eat more of my red dust. You a***h***le!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
jjthewhale wrote:
Yielding trail: Equestrians and hikers have the right of way. I personally dismount in the presence of equestrians, and walk past unless expessly informed its alright to ride past, and usually I still walk past. I give my salutations and go on my happy way.

Yeah thats admirable, I ride by slowly, saying hello WAY early, if the horse knows your there, usually the elite dont mind if you ride slowly. Nevertheless, the general rule IS to dismount and pray the poor horsie doesnt get freaked out and drag the elites into the low hanging branches therefore ruining what would have been a truly Splendid DAY!!!!!!!!!! Damn Poop Factories

Oh my GaWWWD! :lol:

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:10 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

:bump:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 43 thanks
Received: 35 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Liquid 55
Favorite Trails: LPQ
How about a Thomas Paine list of Helmets, Gloves and Bells?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
Speaking of yielding. Let's not forget what IMBA says:

4. Yield to Others

Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming -- a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to all other trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. Strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

A link to their Rules of the Trail:
http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

The following user would like to thank jonathan_sykes81 for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:10 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 14 thanks
Bike(s): Ellsworth Moment
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Noble
I will be polite on the trail but I'll rant here...

Equestrians suck!Yes, every single one of them. :mrgreen: They should have to carry bags to pick up all that shit their animal places on the trail. :beatHorse:

I am having too much fun while waiting for my ride. See you guys Saturday.

The following user would like to thank dfacerdm for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:19 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
oh no... :shock:

the horse thing might be out of context there...

i hope the chocolate pain thing doesn't come back to haunt...

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

After catching up on some reading while i was out I have decided to resurect (sp) this thread.