It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Dustin wrote:
I have no beef with the military for closing trails north of the 52 if that is what they want to do. You are right that it's a lost cause as far as advocacy goes. Not worth the energy.

yes a lost fight. as you aptly mentioned before, "....But neither side should let the perfect be the enemy of the good." the same should stand for the trails.

Dustin wrote:
On the other hand, I think the marines could be a lot more neighborly in granting an easement to let people ride the Stowe Trail from Santee up to Sycamore. It's 100 years old and, as I understand it, only crosses the outermost fringe of the outermost fringe of their base. I believe this is what County Supervisor Diane Jacobs has been working on without apparent success (yet).

yes, there are several excellent maps from chuckanado showing how the trails only infringe on the borders of the military area, and far from the firing ranges. oak canyon too. it would be a wise pr move should the military grant easements for these areas, especially in light of the organized ride. however, you should remember that the military was very lenient in regards to these trails for decades. i believe the issue that got them to be less than amiable was the hikers that trespassed into the old missile area (or some hiker group trespassing in what could be a dangerous area. http://www.meetup.com/san-diego-urban-e ... 117393982/). that and bikers on the crest line of the firing ranges and hearsay a while back was a law suit from an injury sustained within the military borders, and a new commander that got caught with all this.

i would think under these circumstances the military may be asking, 'if we are still seeing bikers from the firing ranges after we cordoned off the area with clear signage, why should we open trails allowing an increased biker population with the prospect of increased trespassing?' i think this a reasonable position that we need to properly address if we expect to move forward on the easement. i would assume current and future trespassing will not be looked upon favorably for us. not sure where it all stands with jacobs office, just my own flammable bs, as always.

the cdf&w have a whole different bag of issues, and yes the dogs are to sniff out the hidden beer, uh, ordinances. and hairy legged bikers.

The following 2 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Dustin, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
map
(click to enlarge)
Attachment:
Spring.Miltary.MCAS Miramar copy.jpeg
Spring.Miltary.MCAS Miramar copy.jpeg [ 220.47 KiB | Viewed 3375 times ]

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
Quote:
The next step is to show up at the SDBMA meeting at mission trails at 7PM this Wednesday. I think there is general agreement that city, state, and federal officials are going to have to get used to a more confrontational posture from the San Diego mountain biking community until they agree to make mountain bikers part of the solution. SDMBA is starting to get that. But we need numbers to do it.

So this is a plea to everyone who came to the protest to show up at the meeting: If you have a beef with the way SDMBA has been run--and I certainly have a few--then let's all show up and make it into the kind of grassroots, constituency based organization that we all want it to be. If something sucks, it doesn't have to suck forever.

I'm still feeling the buzz from Saturdays event and plan attending the meeting, and becoming a member of SDMBA. See you there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 41 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Nomad
Favorite Trails: Noble, National, ATT, Tunnels
In case any of you missed the rally, here's a video I put together of the event that kind of sums it up without saying anything. Turnout was great.
http://youtu.be/vuTe_79tzfg
I'll be heading to the SDMBA meeting tonight. Maybe see some of you there.

(disclaimer on the video: I'd only intended on shooting some B-roll for another project but got some decent footage on accident and through together this piece. The dSLR I was using is tricky to shoot with in a run-and-gun scenario so the main clip isn't as good as it should have been since I set up a couple seconds before the swarm descended. )

The following 4 users would like to thank Garett.McD for his or her post:
Earache, jSatch, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:59 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
It figures that one guy was riding no handed.....

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1511 thanks
Received: 1049 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot 429 - Stumpy FSR
Favorite Trails: Over, Under, Sideways, Down
Garett.McD wrote:
In case any of you missed the rally, here's a video I put together of the event that kind of sums it up without saying anything. Turnout was great.

Nice work! The music is superb... only to be topped by the Tutu Girls!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7