Given: 8615 thanks
Received: 11625 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
Taken from SDMBA........

Mike Kim wrote:
ErikMM wrote:
Mike Kim wrote:
Thanks for posting your side of the story Erik. I do not agree with your ratting out Warren Wong and am hopeful something can be done to prevent the area from being fenced off...

I went to Warren himself. So did Carlsbad, CNLM, Fish and Wildlife, and Preserve Calavera.

I Doubt it will be fenced off, but it may. My beef with Warren is that he did nothing, and all the building drew attention to it from the stakeholders/agencies mentioned above, which greatly increases the likelihood of fencing because a) there seems to be no restraint by the builders, and b) having a do-nothing land manager makes a fence seem like the easiest management tool to the stakeholders (because the land manger hasn't and isn't managing).

Erik, now that you know that the fences are up, do you think that if you did not threaten Warren things would be different now, and if so, how.

Kevin, your success at Crestridge, a DFG property, is well-documented. Can you bring to bear your connections and depth of knowledge to assist at Calavera?

I am meeting with Warren next week.

Mike,
Here's some info that might be of benefit for you to have when meeting with warren.
The money from SANDAG for fencing is not recent -nor a result of any one persons actions / inaction. This dates back to 2009. Follow this link to the original resolution for this grant application that covers fencing, public outreach, and habitat restoration- http://carlsbad.granicus.com/MetaViewer ... &showpdf=1 after the fencing goes up there is a plan (see page 9) for 3 years of monitoring the area, and 5 years of maintenance.
It's interesting that this plan has been around since 2009, however it's just now coming to the light. So those that would like to lay the blame on any certain user group, or person should realize that the action that is taking place out there now - is a result of a decision made almost 3 years ago. It looks like in May of this year they approved putting this fencing out to bid, and he use of these funds for the fencing / public outreach / and habitat restoration. http://carlsbad.granicus.com/MetaViewer ... &showpdf=1 .

"Kevin, your success at Crestridge, a DFG property, is well-documented. Can you bring to bear your connections and depth of knowledge to assist at Calavera?"
Mike, I believe that I've already shared this via email with you. Look for an email from 12/7. As far as using connections go - I've tried that and been burned. I'm happy to share my knowledge (not anything that others that are working with you at Calaveras don't already know).
It all boils down to the DFG Warden's willingness to work with you, and the system. The warden has the ability to 'alter' the management plan according to the reserve profile.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/mgmtplans/r ... ations.pdf

Title 14, Division 1, subdivision 2, chapter 11 Section 630-
See paragraph 1585 on page numbered 2 (third page).
1585. Notwithstanding Section 1580, which sets forth the primary
purposes of ecological reserves, the department may construct
facilities and conduct programs in ecological reserves it selects to
provide natural history education and recreation if those facilities
and programs are compatible with the protection of the biological
resources of the reserve. As provided in Sections 1764 and 1765, the
department may control access, use, and collect fees for selected
ecological reserves.

So the task would be to show warren how allowing mtb's on DFG land fits the profile of what they are trying to accomplish. How will allowing mountain bikes back into the DFG portion of land improve it's current condition? I don't have that answer. I knew how to prove that at CER, but I am not involved with Calaveras.
Remember - some reserves allow hunting and fishing -Something that Calaveras would most certainly not allow. SO it's all about the profile, and makeup of the area.
Try to look at it from the DFG warden's prospective as well. How can you help him to make this happen? Dumping a list of demands on his doorstep will get you nowhere. The question needs to be "what can I do to help you make this happen"

Hope this helps.
Jefe de Pista - Kevin Mortensen Crestridge Reserve Liaison - kevin@sdmba.com

:cheers:

Clyde

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following 10 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
abzillah, Brian, Kimba, Los, Mudd, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, rodster, ValE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:51 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 4 thanks
Received: 24 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Calavera & La Costa
The problem I see with all of this is that there are too many people from various factions and interests to appease...it's like trying to get congress to unanimously vote on something..too many chefs in the soup out there...

is there any way to get all these guys in the same room to listen to us present solutions to them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Calavera..... "The Flightline of the 21st Century."

The following user would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Since I'm a newb with the whole advocay thing feel free to ignore or tell me I'm dumb.

Have we (Mt Bikers, IMBA, SDMBA, etc) actually sat down and had a one on one with any of the Wardens, property manager (whatever their title is)? Take the guy out to Donovans or Ruth Chris for dinner and had a discussion?

Have the Mt Bike Organizations proposed that we 'sponsor" sections of trail? By sponsor, I mean officially clean/maintain, mark, and even close certain trails.

I would think that most riders would be more likely to respect a "Closed Trail" if it was marked CLOSED by SDMBA, with an official acceptable usage trail map.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162&p=124866#p124866

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Based on what I've been seeing and hearing this seems like a babystep, but a step none the less.

Question is how to set the "Loop" and how to mark and spread the word.

The other big question I'm sure you thought about is how long of a "Trial" basis.

What will they be using for "evaluation" and what are the ecological impact concerns?

The way I read the rules is all the trails are still legally accessable so long as your hiking and observing nature.

Not that I've been hiking in Calaveras, but in New England I always saw more critters while I was riding then walking. I also was a "first responder" to a fire that some kids had started. They were trapped in a grove that they had started a fire near. I helped get them out, then got back to guide the fire trucks to the site of the fire.

I think it would be good for us to know what these concerns are, other than they just don't like MT Bikers. Real concerns can be addressed, general dislike, can't.

The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Kimba, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
good points.

i think one of the evaluations would be enviro impact. cdf&g has people (enviro scientists) that go out and evaluate exactly that. see the thread on dmm/tunnels/los pen. they note all endangered plants, their number, and the conditions. as the trails are already established, and bikers tend to stay on trial, the impact on the endangered vegetation/wildlife/habitat there should be nominal, at best (worst).

another issue, as mentioned in the other thread, is self regulation. when everyone's illegal who's to say 'you guys shouldn't be putting up wooden features here'? when it becomes a legit trail, on a short leash, i think there may be a higher impetus for self regulation, and better understanding on the builder's part as well. the 'f' i, i don't care', 'live and let live', 'whatever, not my problem' mind set can change.

you have a good point again as a responder. mtb's can cover a lot of area fast. something bad happens they are more likely to sweep the area to discover it, or they can quickly check it out and give a call to the officials/rangers/land manager. it might not be a bad point to mention to the land manager to place signs up with phone numbers to call in case of something happening (hiker gets snake bite, brush fire, 4x4s crushing the trails, cougars sited in the parking area picking up young boys). i think it is a plus to the rangers/land manager to have these eyes and ears on the preserve.

from mission trails
Attachment:
P1020409.JPG
P1020409.JPG [ 279.32 KiB | Viewed 5681 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan